yet a gane a nuther d.t.i refit
hi well i got this d.t.i given was not gowning to do a post on it but thought you all may want to see haw i removed a broken thread this batty d.t.i has bi in the wars to be honest at first look i thought it may be beyond reaper the dile was in good condition but the rest well i will let the pics say more i was surprised to find that on the inside was not that bad and the reason for it bin in the condition it was was all dawn to the pin that holds the return spring had broken so ones the movement had bin cleaned and the pin repast the d.t.i is like new will post a pic of it all back to gather right pics

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Looks like the longer spur gear (pinion?) needs attention. Get your jeweler's files and smooth out the nicks or movement will be a little crunchy.
Thanks given by:
How does a gear in a DI get so messed up in the first place? It looks like it could have come out of my mill!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
hi me thoughts on the gear is that the broken pin has bin jamming it and as for repairing it i don't file them i use shaped bits of silver steel to reform them by pushing on the damaged tooth then if they need smoothing i use brasso on a hard wood stick
Thanks given by:
very skilfully done mate DroolDroolDrool
I have some watchmakers reamers
you will make better use of them than me
I try not to go below 4 mill YikesYikes
John
Thanks given by:
lol at 4 mill well you definitely wood have struggled drilling with a 0.4 mm drill
Thanks given by:
Another fine fix Bob and an old DTI lives to indicate again, you must be able to do these with your eyes shut now Smile

Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Great job Bob, as so many times before!

I broke the glass on my old caliper, and was kind of upset -- not an expensive one, but I built my lathe with it -- I've had it from the start. What do you do for a broken glass? Maybe you just have a lot of spares...
Thanks given by:
(08-25-2014, 07:11 PM)vtsteam Wrote: Great job Bob, as so many times before!

I broke the glass on my old caliper, and was kind of upset -- not an expensive one, but I built my lathe with it -- I've had it from the start. What do you do for a broken glass? Maybe you just have a lot of spares...

measure it and you may be able to find a watch glass that will fit. there are a lot of watch crystals on ebay.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: vtsteam
hi well for your caliper i have two that i have repast the glass on i just repast it with plastic . go to your shop that you get your welding supplies from and get sum outer lens covers for them automatic welding helmets or if you rely wont to replace it with glass then get sum glass that goes on the front of ordinary stick welding helmets watch crystals are no good for d.t.i.s as they are mad of glass and will easily brake
Thanks given by: