Question for the mates in the UK.
Question 
Is anyone familiar with the quality of Gloster Tooling? Yea, or nay? Chin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gloster-3-Morse-...c#shpCntId
Willie
Thanks given by:
I've bought from then in the past and not had issues, but now tend to use shop-apt.co.uk for inserts and indexable holders
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
I've used Gloster for a few items, no problems at all.
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Willie,

Here's one for about the same price but includes shipping. $18 for the part and $6 for shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/CARBIDE-TIPPED-HAL...UYU0UDL39M

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ed. I saw that one but it is ground too close to the tip for my tastes, like this one.

[Image: 31k%2BQeqbvZL._SX342_.jpg]

I'm still waiting for a shipping quote from the UK seller. I can get a nice one made by Bison for about $56 but it won't get used much, so I'm not sure I want to spend that much. Blush

Correction: $65 (shipped).
Dyslexics untie!!!
Willie
Thanks given by:
awemawson, Arbalest;

Thank you for your replies and information on Gloster tools. The Gloster center looks (to me) like a good quality tool. That said, I received an email from them today with a shipping quote. The total cost for me is close enough to justify purchasing the Bison brand tool (Made in Poland) that is available here in the states. Ease of return if necessary, plays a part as well.

I'll have to spend a little more than I wanted to, but isn't that always the case? Blush
Willie
Thanks given by:
I should have known it was too good to be true. Bash

I ordered of of these "Bison" half centers on Amazon from a third party seller.
Machine Shop Discount Supply

After opening the USPS package and taking out the generic looking box from inside I already knew I'd been taken. The printed up large label on the box reads BISON CENTERS. The tiny label on the back of the box reads Japan. Sure enough, it contains a plain carbide tipped center with no identifying groove at the tip and no Bison logo or markings at all. Someone BADLY ground half of the tip off with an angle grinder. Angry

[Image: th_P9150036.jpg] [Image: th_P9150037.jpg]

Of course being a third party seller, I can't return it to Amazon and have to wait days now to see if they will ALLOW me to return the item for a refund. Amazon is just as bad as eBay these days with the bait and switch scum they allow to sell there. Rant
Willie
Thanks given by:
Well that sure sucks. I'd complain to Amazon anyway since they're sponsoring that seller.

You can get the real Bison dead center from here: http://brassandtool.com/Lathe-Centers.html

That's a reputable place that's been around for a long time and owned by a husband and wife team. I don't know what the shipping cost would be but the MT3 carbide tipped half dead center is listed at $50.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ed. I'll give brass and tool a try if I get my money back from Mr. bait and switch. He wants me to send this one back C.O.D. and send me a "Bison" in a couple of days. Told him I wasn't interested and just wanted to do a return/refund. Fool me once.....
Willie
Thanks given by:
(09-15-2014, 08:21 PM)Highpower Wrote: Thanks Ed. I'll give brass and tool a try if I get my money back from Mr. bait and switch. He wants me to send this one back C.O.D. and send me a "Bison" in a couple of days. Told him I wasn't interested and just wanted to do a return/refund. Fool me once.....

Good luck Willie.

Ed
Thanks given by: