Moriya by Dr James R Senft
For all the Stirling Engine experts here, I have the book, “Steam and Stirling Engines You Can Build” . In it, is the Moriya Stirling Fan, by Dr. Senft.  The plans for this Stirling Engine are also available from a couple of college websites.
I would like to modify this design to run on the heat from a wood stove, instead of the alcohol lamp as shown in the plans. What would I need to do? Would it work if I just shortened the legs to allow the hot end rest on the stovetop? Or, maybe make an aluminum plate to set the hot end in, which would in turn rest on the stovetop?
Can I post a picture of the Moriya from the book? Has anyone built this engine?
Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
I think that is a good idea to run it on the top of a wood burning stove, I have thought about doing that my self but never got round to it.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
From what I can find, to make Moriya work on a woodstove will take some re-engineering. I will build pretty close to plans  as provided and try to modify it for the stove. I might even build 2, one origional and one to experiment with.
I have seen one version where the builder added a tiny belt driven fan to help cool the cold end for better temperature differential.

Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
(10-17-2014, 09:44 AM)chucketn Wrote: I have seen one version where the builder added a tiny belt driven fan to help cool the cold end for better temperature differential.

Chuck

Gee that complicates things. May be a 3'' long billet of aluminium would provide good heat transfer from the stove top, I don't really know because I have never built a Stirling engine. 17428
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(10-17-2014, 08:21 AM)chucketn Wrote: Can I post a picture of the Moriya from the book?
Chuck

Yes you can so long as you acknowledge the source and it is just posted to convey what you are talking about.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: