Tools help - buying advice
Hi guys, i need to buy some tools for my mill and lathe, but as i am a complete noob, im not sure what exactly to look for.
I prefer good old quality tools before the cheap and not so good massproduction China stuff.

Here is some of the tools i need to buy: 

* Knurling tool for my lathe
* cutting tools
* flycutter for the mill

Lathe is a relative small one, Emco Maximat V10P, and the mill is also a benchtype, not the smallest type though.
ironman, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2014.
Thanks given by:
What sort of tool holder do you have on the lathe?  Quick change, turret, or ?  If its anything other than a quick change that should be very high on your list.

You'll probably want to start out with High Speed Steel cutting tools for the lathe.  It will help you learn about tool geometry and you'll want to keep your RPM's down as you learn how to run the lathe.  You'll also need to buy a bench or pedestal grinder at minimum a 6" preferably an 8" machine. 

Speaking of which another "must have" for your list is "How to Run a Lathe" by the South Bend Lathe Works.  Check Ebay or Amazon for it.  In addition Google "Machinery Repairman 3 & 2".  It's the US Navy's machinist textbook and has lots of good information.  It's also free on line.  Full disclosure that's the text I learned from while in the Navy.

For the fly cutter, make one.  Its a fairly simple project that will also help you learn your equipment.

For the knurling tool do not buy a cheap one as the knurls will either not work at all, or fail fairly soon.

Welcome to the addiction.  Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Thanks Dr Stan.
I have quick change :) Very handy. Its Tripan brand - i think its Swiss.
I have an pedestal grinder, but its a cheap one that i got when i was a teenager, not a good unit. So im looking around to find an industrial piece.

One thing i found out today, is that half of the speeds on the lathe is not "available". The button for "level 2" does not engage. Might be an easy fix, but i think i have to open it to find out. That means i only have 60, 240, 315 and 1250. Im missing 120, 480, 630 and 2500 :(
Hope i can fix it, otherwise i just have to live with it for now. Im planning for a bigger unit next year, but i thought this was good for learning some basics.

What kind of knurling tools are best then? I see there are different designs.
Thanks given by:
Ironman,

Knurling tools: there are two basic types, a push/force knurler that produces the knurl by deforming the material.
and the knurler that produces the knurl by cutting the material (Cut knurler)

There is little to compare, I think the cut knurler is far superior in every way. But and there is always a but and in this case a big but, the cost/price of a cut knurler to most home workshops is way, way over the top.

So because of price may be your only option is the force/push knurler. Many home workshop use this type of knurler with very good results. I would recommend a 'scissor' type. This type of force knurler uses two knurls and the material is "trapped" (for want of a better word) between the two knurls.  In this type of action (scissor) a large force can be exerted to the material with out undue force being exerted on the lathe bearings.

Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
PM me your email address. I have pdf copies of the some literature that will be of help.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Don't rush out and buy a knurling tool. The next project tutorial on my list is a heavy duty clamp type knurling tool. The design is complete and as soon as I manage to find some time, I'll post the drawings up to my website and start shooting some videos of the build.

Start out with an assortment of HSS tool bits for your lathe and also the fly cutter. There are reference sheets and videos on my website to help you grind them. You also don't need a better grinder. I have a basic Craftsman bench grinder that I've been using for the last thirty years. If the wheels go around and it has rests and guards, it's good enough to grind tool bits and drills on.

Fly cutters are very basic tools. Just Google some images of a few and make one yourself. It'll be good practice and you'll save a few bucks.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I'm looking forward to seeing what your knurling tool looks like Tom. I need a better one and have designs in mind but no Roundtuit.
Thanks given by:
DaveH gave better advice than I RE the knurler.

For a good grinder use Search Tempest to search multiple Craig's List locations. That's how I found both of my Baldor grinders. An 8" bench version from around Cleveland, OH and a carbide tool grinder from around Boston. Both like new and $100 each.
Thanks given by:
Might wait for your next tutorial then Tom :) A knurler is something that i really want to have. I am going to make footpegs and shifter pegs for motorcycles for some friends. And also handy to have for caps and different tools.

There are were few metal-shops around here, but i went to visit one that is very close to me, and the old man gave me a few free materials. Square and round, enough to work on for a while.
Thanks given by:
(11-13-2014, 09:41 PM)PixMan Wrote: I'm looking forward to seeing what your knurling tool looks like Tom...

Smiley-signs009
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: