What should I do with them?
While cleaning the basement I ran across these carbide index tool holders ...

They are quite large and obviously do not fit into a BXA tool holder for my 14x40 QCTP.

Any thoughts on what I might do with them?

Arvid
Thanks given by:
Doubleboost just had a thread or video on modifying the holders to fit a tool post. On one, he milled a dovetail in the actual shank of the holder to fit his QCTP.

Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
The shanks can be made from quite tough material. I trimmed one down for a friend and I had to use a carbide mill and it still took a while.
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Those look like 1.25" shanks. Yikes 

Ed
Thanks given by:
If you put the holders in to a fire & leave them there over night you will be able to machine them no problem
John
Thanks given by:
http://youtu.be/M0jVNeca_es

The end of this short video shows my tool holders
John
Thanks given by:
Thanks John, for bailing me out!

Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
I've cut dovetails in them before, they come out pretty soft after a trip thru the furnace

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Quote:EdK
Those look like 1.25" shanks. Yikes

Ed

Pretty darn close Ed! A touch over at 1.259".

Those are all 32mm metric shank tools.

You can always tell from the nomenclature in a couple of ways. One, the "3232" means it's 32mm square. If it were an "inch" size holder and had only ONE "32", that would be 32 "sixteenths" of an inch, making it a 2" holder.

Another indicator is the "P27" and "P22". That denotes the insert size in ISO form, so the long edge of the inserts is 27mm and 22mm, respectively.

The top one takes a square negative rake insert, an SNMG1506xx (SNMG54x in ANSI)  size. It's a big one, but great for lead angle roughing (with a high horsepower machine) or for putting BIG chamfers on a part.

The next two are identical MTJNR3232P27's, which take a BIG triangular negative rake insert TNMG2706xx (TNMG54z) insert and hold it's cutting edge at a -3º angle to the shank for turning up to a shoulder and allow facing out to clean it square.

The bottom one is also an MTJNR3232 but takes the smaller and more common TNMG2204xx (TNMG43x) inserts at the same -3º angle.

I would suggest just selling them off to get the proper 5/8" / 16mm holders with smaller (and less expensive) inserts more appropriate for your size lathe. Look for  holders that use WNMG, CNMG, DNMG and VNMG inserts. Those would be:

DWLNR 103, MWLNR 103 (ANSI-inch), DWLNR1616 H06, MWLNR1616 H06 (ISO-metric)
DCLNR 103, MCLNR 103 (ANSI-inch), DCLNR1616 H09, MCLNR1616 H06 (ISO-metric)
DDJNR 103, MDJNR 103 (ANSi-inch), DDJNR1616 K11, MDJNR1616 K11 (ISO-metric)
DVJNR 103, MVJNR 103 (ANSI-inch), DVJNR1616 K16, MVJNR1616 K16 (ISO-metric)
Thanks given by: EdK
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Ken, if I were to put them on Craig's List, what might be a far price? Obviously I would very much prefer holders that I can actually use.
Thanks given by: