Gluing Rubber To Bar
Any idea how to attach rubber sheet to a 2" dia bar? They are the drivers on a rubber belted conveyor. I was thinking of using a 3M rubber-metal contact adhesive and laying it on like linoleum, using a box cutter to match things up at the seam.
Thanks given by:
(09-21-2014, 09:34 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: Any idea how to attach rubber sheet to a 2" dia bar? They are the drivers on a rubber belted conveyor. I was thinking of using a 3M rubber-metal contact adhesive and laying it on like linoleum, using a box cutter to match things up at the seam.

I doubt that gluing on sheet will hold. Have you considered using rubber hose? I'm sure you can find some with an ID close to 2" and then glue that on. PlioBond is the adhesive of choice for rubber to metal.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
The way I would do it if all I had was a glue method would be to cut the rubber into strips and wrap it around at an angle. It you wrap it with one straight seam I will guarantee it fails. Even the strip method may not hold but it is the better of the two methods.

"Billy G"
Thanks given by:
I have repaired matalastic engine mountings that have seperated between the metal and the rubber with industrial superglue, never had a problem with them after that.
Phil
Man who say it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?
Thanks given by:
I agree with Bill. I was thinking "strips applied like the put long strips of sand paper on a drum sander" with the spiral going in the appropriate direction.

Arvid
Thanks given by:
The original looks like a glued on sheet, maybe 1/32" thick with a single longitudinal seam. Farm equipment, wouldn't want it to come apart in the middle of the first mow. Draper drive rollers.

Several ideas here, thanks guys. I was even thinking of heat $hrink tubing. I might have missed the boat on this one though, but the roller drive boxes seems to be a stumper for the competition. Broken, obsolete bevel gears! Smile
Thanks given by:
if you can find the right size rubber hose, you should be able to plug one end and connect it to an air hose an force it over the roller before turning on the air just enough to swell the hose up so that it will slide down the roller, used to siip thick wall rubber tubing over 1" pipe using an air hose to inflate the rubber once it was started on the pipe.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(12-13-2014, 10:30 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: Several ideas here, thanks guys. I was even thinking of heat $hrink tubing.

If you think you will go that route, check out some of the major hobby shops. They make a heavy duty shrink tubing for covering the main rotor blades on large RC helicopters. If it will hold laminate wood rotor blades together at high speed, it ought to work for a roller. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
buy the thick wet location heatshrink that has sealer in it which melts and sticks like the dickens to everything, electrical supply houses have it in some pretty big diameters, the trick with heat shrink will be getting it to shrink evenly
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
There is a 3M double sided tape that we use at work. Sticks to nearly anything, and does not let go. Not sure if it's available in small quantities (we buy it by the roll), but it's worth a shot.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by: