Find my screw
I am trying to figure out insert tooling. After seeing a flycutter set up with a round indexable insert tool, I decided to try one. I ordered the tool and inserts from CTC Tools, probably my first mistake. Second was not ordering them both at the same time. I ordered the tool, and immediately realized I’d forgotten the inserts. An E-mail to CTC asking to add the inserts to the order was ignored. So, tool came w/o inserts, but hat a Torx screw and tool. I tried to find the inserts at an affordable price elsewhere, but failed. I later ordered the recommended inserts for the tool from CTC. Second mistake! Inserts came. But no screw. And to pour salt on my wound, the screw that came with the tool falls straight through the hole in the round insert!
So, my question, how do you figure out what is the proper screw for this insert on this tool? Neither description of the insert or the tool on CTC’s website gives the spec for the correct screw. The insert description gives a screw part # that isn’t found anywhere… CTC doesn’t list it, nor does the insert manufacturer. HELP!
Can I just take the screw that fits (threadwise) the tool holder and an insert to Fastenal and expect to find a SHCS that will work?
Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
Is there anything stamped/stenciled onto the tool that would indicate the correct insert to use? If CTC sold you the tool then they should be able to provide you with the correct insert and screw to suit. Call them and tell them they need to sort it out. That would be my first action...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(01-03-2015, 08:59 AM)chucketn Wrote: Quote from original post: "I later ordered the recommended inserts for the tool from CTC. Second mistake! Inserts came. But no screw. And to pour salt on my wound, the screw that came with the tool falls straight through the hole in the round insert!...

Neither description of the insert or the tool on CTC’s website gives the spec for the correct screw. The insert description gives a screw part # that isn’t found anywhere… CTC doesn’t list it, nor does the insert manufacturer. "
The insert manufacturer, Lamina, doesn't show screw info on their page either. I have e-mailed CTC, Lamina, and Fastenal, but no replies yet. I will probably end up re-tapping the tool holder to a more common size thread, and custom turning a SHCS screw to fit the insert.

Chuck
Thanks given by:
Chuck,

I stongly advise against altering the toolholder in that way. If you use a socket had cap screw it'll put stress on the insert in untold ways that weren't intended and break.

Give me the nomenclature off the holder and the insert. First thing I do is assure you have the correct inserts for the holder. Then by knowing the insert, we can determine the hole size and shape in it (by measuring and confirming against standards.) Lastly, I probably have a couple dozen various insert screws here and one is bound to be right. I'll drop it in the mail to you.

In the future you can always lean on me to help find an appropriate insert tool and insert from a single, affordable source. While rarely the cheapest, I can find great tools and fantastic prices that people rarely regret buying.
Thanks given by:
Yes - I read your post Chuck. What I am saying is the following:

1. Many tool holders have the part numbers for screws, shims etc stenciled on them. If not, you should be able to look it up based on the tool holder nomenclature and the manufacturer (well the quality manufacturers you can and I have no knowledge of Lamina).

2. Whilst you have contacted them, I would not try to make/modify or otherwise rectify a situation that the supplier should be able to do for you.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Chuck,

Can you post a link to the tool on the CTC web site?

Ed

EDIT: Is this the one? What size shank did you get?

http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-611/...the/Detail
Thanks given by:
Mayhem, wasn't trying to be a smart ass. Just trying to say I have tried that route.
Tool holder is branded HZSK model # SRDCN1010E10. The tool has the model # on it plus the following markings: 306D; RC; 3X8 appears next to a picture of a screw, and T15 appears next to a picture of a Torx tool.
The screw that came with the holder measures M3 x .5(from metric thread pitch gage), x 1.82 mm long. Screw head is 4.6mm dia, and countersunk, with T8 Torx socket.
The insert is Lamina RCMT 10T3 M0, and fits on the recess in the holder perfectly. The CTC page describing the screw for the insert gives a part # of SC350960, which gives nothing on a Google search.
I have sent an email to Lamina, but no response yet.
As far as CTC resolving it, I have emailed them 4 or 5 times since I ordered the tool in October, and no response. Crap customer support. 
I know the insert requires a specific head shape, and plan to either turn a custom screw to fit, or maybe a washer to adapt the existing screw to the insert.
The insert, as far as I can see, has a straight hole through it. Looks like a short washer/spacer is pressed in the bottom of the insert hole.

Edit: After further inspection of the insert, there is a step in the through hole, not a pressed in spacer.

2nd Edit: Pixman, thanks for any help you can provide.

Chuck
Thanks given by:
Chuck,

Hopefully Ken can help you, he has helped me numerous times. I'm very glad he understands the very complicated field of inserts and holders, not just what design and manufacturer, but grades of carbide. It took me a while to realize, there is a big difference between carbide and good carbide.

In one of my trips to China, I worked in a plant that molded carbide inserts, after what I saw, I can only imagine the difference between them and Valenite, Kennametal, Sandvik and the other "name brand" companies. Where they actually have quality control.

I bought from CTC a couple of times, if you ordered by part number you got what you ordered, but they were almost impossible to deal with if you had a question.
jack
Thanks given by:
I gave up on CTC a long time ago. Of all of the emails I sent them asking questions, not one was answered.

Ed
Thanks given by:
You're right, Jack.
I'm going to the shop to see if I can make a washer/adapter to fix this mess.

Chuck
Thanks given by: