Bonded Carbide
I do a lot of weld repairs and plasma cutting out, rough parts that have to be turned to the proper size. With the weld build up and the hardened heat effected area form the torch/plasma cuts and interrupted cuts, these can be brutal on carbide inserts. I usually do my rough in work with cheaply bought, bonded carbide lathe tools, if I ruin one of them, I don't feel as bad if I had ruined a good carbide insert. I turn it into rough shape, then switch over to the regular carbide insert/tool to finish up the job.

The bonded carbide tools, at least for me, turn up at the suppliers, cheap. I bought them by the pound and by the piece and rarely pay more than a $1/ea. I know they are not of top quality, but for the rough work, again at least for me, they work great.

They are totally sacrificial, I have ground away the under side of the tool to cut IDs, where clearance was an issue, cut and rewelded them at an angle to get in where I needed. I bought 20 of the AR8 tools from Harbor Freight, for $8, last week as part of an open box specials.

Is it just me or do others use them as I do, too?

Below are some of the inventory I keep on hand

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

jack
Thanks given by:
I use them, somethimes you never know what you will need to cut the part with. I also have a bunch of T15 HSS that a machinist in Floride gave me one time when I was in DelRay Beach on a job that I use besides the indexable and brazed on stuff

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I have carbide insert tools, brazed carbide and HSS and use the appropriate tool for the job.  Yesterday for example I used HSS to turn & face some plastic.
Thanks given by:
I use the cheap ones for roughing also. I have a couple of good ones I got from McMaster and use those when I'm machining harder steels.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I have a few dozen HSS tools, and a few brazed carbide (like those), but I do all my roughing with inserts simply because I have better control over the process because I know grades and coatings well. I can easily out perform any brazed tool with the right insert. I do NOT always go out and buy the latest and greatest to be able to do this. I find "last year's" grades on eBay or in closeout specials from various catalog houses, and pay very little for quality inserts.

Jack, I understand the $1 a piece thing, and know that even when you chip one you can go resharpen it. That's what works for you so don't fix what ain't broken. For me, if I get a pack of ten quality inserts for $25 to $40, that's generally $0.625 to $1.00 an edge too, and my time to flip to a new edge (with the single-screw style holders I have now) is under 20 seconds. It's also right on center and in the same location as the blown-out of dull edge was before it went TU. The indexing in minimized because I'm choosing grades the right way and usually nail it on the first try.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. Big Grin

Besides, I've run out of room to keep that many brazed carbide tools on hand. Insert boxes lie flat. ;)
Thanks given by:
Thought I pressed 'Like' on Ken's post I am concerned about "have better control over the process because I know grades and coatings well" and "choosing grades the right way and usually nail it on the first try". What we need is a joint Vulcan Mind Meld gathering so we can all have Kens experience without having to go thru the years of experience he went thru to get it  Blush
Thanks given by:
I couldn't agree more Arvid. You should experience what it is like talking to him in person.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2015, 10:03 AM)Mayhem Wrote: I couldn't agree more Arvid.  You should experience what it is like talking to him in person.

Thanks Darren!

Any of you who are ever in my area are more than welcome to come visit my shop, hang around and talk tooling, machining and anything other than smoking....wait for it....

I quit as of Jan 2nd and haven't tripped up yet!
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2015, 11:14 AM)PixMan Wrote: ...I quit as of Jan 2nd and haven't tripped up yet!

Well done! That is good news. Soon you'll actually be able to taste (I mean really taste) the food at your favorite Mexican restaurant. Oh and you have a little more coin in your pocket too and that is always a good thing!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: PixMan
(01-07-2015, 11:34 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(01-07-2015, 11:14 AM)PixMan Wrote: ...I quit as of Jan 2nd and haven't tripped up yet!

Well done!  That is good news.  Soon you'll actually be able to taste (I mean really taste) the food at your favorite Mexican restaurant.  Oh and you have a little more coin in your pocket too and that is always a good thing!

A "little" more coin in my pocket? If you only knew how many thousands of dollars I've wasted...er...enjoyed. Blush

I hate to think about but that's my main motivation right there. I gave up my cigars in 2011 to justify paying for my then-new motorcycle. And it did. Now I want the new 2015 version of the same bike because it's got cruise control, fly-by-wire throttle, traction control and a host of other features. I won't actually buy one for a year or two, but when I do I'll be able to fork over the $12,000 in cash.

or, I'll be buying a LOT more tools for the shop that I don't really need. Chin

Plan B...save some money?
Thanks given by: