help with angle iron's
hey guys hoping that some one can help i think what i am talking about is called angle irons ( a long bar that has a L shape) allthough not always made with iron could be aluminum or steel ect.. basicy i am working a project and i want to get these angle irons to use around the edges as trim 3/4 in walls (so it goes in 3/4 in in on top edge and 3/4 in down from top edge) all the way around the 4 sides of this project...my problem is i cant find anything good i want it either polished or even anodized ( rather have it polished) but just something that doesnt look rough and streaky like it just cam out of a extruder i got one in homedepot at first not thinkijng about it being polished (wich nothing at home depot is polished ) and went to put it on and it just looked horible being so rough so any chance any one knows where to find this either a web site i can order from ( i did find 2 sites that i could order from with a few "finishing" options but neither one had pics of the diffrent finishing and i want to know what i am buying before i pay for it) or even any stores that cary theese types of products i am new to this type of stuff so any help would be appreciated thanks
-dave
Thanks given by:
Welcome Dave.

What are the measurements of the sides of the angle irons you bought? You won't find anything polished anywhere, but if it's aluminum and you have machines, it's easy to give it a flycut then polish it from there. If I read your message right it might be 3/4 x 3/4 angle iron. How long is it?
Thanks given by:
yes each leg is 3/4in i tried on a lil test peice to try and polish it with various attachments for a dremel tool but like i said i am new to this so it was kind of trial and error (alot more error) with diffrent attachments and it took forever just to do a lil piece and it still was not acceptable maybe if i knew what to use to do it right i might be able to do it?!?
Thanks given by:
I assume it's aluminum. A Dremel tool is definitely not the right tool for the job. If you have a bench grinder, get a buffing wheel for it and some rouge. It's still going to be a lot of work.

http://www.amazon.com/Ansen-Tools-AN-269...fing+wheel

http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-D2901-1-...B0000DD35B

Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hi Dave,  Smiley-signs046

Something else you might want to consider.....
Angle comes in a couple of different forms. Structural (rounded inside corners) or architectural (square inside corners). For your application you might want to go with the architectural angle.

This is just one of many online metal suppliers where you can find all types of metals and shapes. http://www.speedymetals.com/s-5-6063.aspx
Willie
Thanks given by:
As Ed said buffing the aluminium will bring out the bling, first sanding it with say 320 grit on an orbital sander will speed up the process and smooth out the marks let from the extruder.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I would first use the 6" Norton Beartex (similar to ScotchBrite) abrasive wheel that I have mounted on my bench grinder. Those can remove the extrusion lines very quickly and leave a nice brushed finish. If that finish isn't good enough, the surface they leave can buff quickly too.
Thanks given by:
Hello Dave
What you require is know as "Trim" as  "Angle trim" often used by shop fitters. and modern furniture manufactures. 
comes in all types and sizes, metal and plastic.
Example on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-silver-...3f2f0f40ac

Regards
Trev
Thanks given by:
hey guys so i went to look for my angle grinder (wells dads ..he said i could put a pad on that) well i cant find it what i did find is a buffer but the way its set up is that there is a buffer pad that fits over the plastic piece where it mounts and the "face" of the pad is what contacts the metal not the side of the pad wich is what i think your talking about is there any way i can do it with this....or i think what might be better is i have a stationary bench grinder curently has a grinding stone on one side and a wire brush wheel on the other i am not positive but think i could take the stone off and put a pad (wheel) in its place do you think this will work????
Thanks given by:
(01-11-2015, 11:33 AM)dbreeze225 Wrote: ...or i think what might be better is i have a stationary bench grinder curently has a grinding stone on one side and a wire brush wheel on the other i am not positive but  think i could take the stone off and put a pad (wheel) in its place do you think this will work????

Did you not read post number 4 of this thread? 17428

Ed
Thanks given by: