I'm Glad Pixman Wasn't Watching
I did a job for a friend this last weekend, new mounts for his Bobcat's hydraulic driven snowblower. The two pieces was some kind of 3/4" thick steel plate, they were in and out of the mill 3 or 4 times and switching back and forth between, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" carbide end mills. 

I make parts in the shop all the time, I own mills and lathes and know enough to keep my fingers, hands and sleeves out of the machine's moving parts. I'm by no means a "professional" with this stuff, but I usually can get the job done, while not made to NASA specs, they work as intended.

After the friend left (for the 3 rd time, first 2 were for test fits, then more mods), I was cleaning up and it dawned on me I never changed the spindle rpm (1800 rpm), when I changed end mill sizes, I just sped up or slowed down the table feed until it looked (and sounded) like it was cutting ok. At that point, I thought, boy am I glad Ken didn't see that. It would probably would be a little (or lot) too crude for his taste.

Burner, snowblower, snowmobile parts, alternator/power steering/oil cooler brackets, flow out of the shop at a steady rate, but damn, I don't do this as a living, if I did, I'd starve.
jack
Thanks given by:
Pass given Jack! LOL

My recollection is that you have more end mills than Carter has little pills, so you need to toast a few of them to cut down on the overpopulation!

If they were carbide, you likely didn't do your job well enough and the end mills are still fine because your speed was low even for the 1/2" one.

Ken
Thanks given by:
forgive me Ken, I'm a poor boiler service technician, but 1800 rpm is the max I got. The Franken-Mill is maxxed out a 1800 rpm and the Jet is maxxed out a 1750 rpm. Someday I own a real mill, with some real speed.
jack
Thanks given by:
You'll be envious if you ever see a photo of Mike_sid's "frankenmill". He's got a Hardinge vertical/horizontal machine (8620?) converted with a somewhat rare high speed head from a Bridgeport. It's a step pulley one if I recall correctly, but the top speed is something like 4700 rpm!
Thanks given by:
I find if I squint hard enough I can blur the top speed of my lathe to something that resembles a 4 digit number Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2015, 08:00 PM)the penguin Wrote: forgive me Ken, I'm a poor boiler service technician, but 1800 rpm is the max I got. The Franken-Mill is maxxed out a 1800 rpm and the Jet is maxxed out a 1750 rpm. Someday I own a real mill, with some real speed.

Didn't Jet offer the 3-phase (2 speed motor) option? 17428

My Enco tops out at 3500 rpm. It's a step pulley, but with the 2 speed motor I get 10 speeds out of it.
Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-13-2015, 12:46 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(01-12-2015, 08:00 PM)the penguin Wrote: forgive me Ken, I'm a poor boiler service technician, but 1800 rpm is the max I got. The Franken-Mill is maxxed out a 1800 rpm and the Jet is maxxed out a 1750 rpm. Someday I own a real mill, with some real speed.

Didn't Jet offer the 3-phase (2 speed motor) option? 17428

My Enco tops out at 3500 rpm. It's a step pulley, but with the 2 speed motor I get 10 speeds out of it.

When I bought the Jet, I got a deal on it, because it was ordered by someone and it came in single phase. They refused it, and about 3 days later I bought it. Mine has 25 speeds, from 48 rpm to 1750, because of the "mill transmission", I made

I looked in to a 3 phase motor and an inverter/vfd, because the motor is a "special" and is ungodly expensive, I have held off. So far I've worked around the lack of top end speed, maybe for my birthday.
jack
Thanks given by:
(01-13-2015, 04:09 PM)the penguin Wrote: I looked in to a 3 phase motor and an inverter/vfd, because the motor is a "special" and is ungodly expensive, I have held off. So far I've worked around the lack of top end speed, maybe for my birthday.

Copy that.  I'm still kicking myself for not buying a riser when they were available. Now they are not. Such is life.  Bash
Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2015, 11:36 PM)PixMan Wrote: You'll be envious if you ever see a photo of Mike_sid's "frankenmill". He's got a Hardinge vertical/horizontal machine (8620?) converted with a somewhat rare high speed head from a Bridgeport. It's a step pulley one if I recall correctly, but the top speed is something like 4700 rpm!

top speed is 5440 Jawdrop It is still working well. I'll post a picture tomorrow
Thanks given by:
(01-13-2015, 09:56 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(01-13-2015, 04:09 PM)the penguin Wrote: I looked in to a 3 phase motor and an inverter/vfd, because the motor is a "special" and is ungodly expensive, I have held off. So far I've worked around the lack of top end speed, maybe for my birthday.

Copy that.  I'm still kicking myself for not buying a riser when they were available. Now they are not. Such is life.  Bash

I bought the riser block from Grizzly when they had the similar mill offered, a great addition to the machine.
jack
Thanks given by: