Got A Compressor
I finally got a compressor. I stopped at Northern Tool on my way home from work Friday and picked one up. It was on sale for $199 and I had a $20 off coupon. OK, so it's not much of a compressor, just a wee little one, but it's still better than nothing. A larger mill has priority over a decent compressor.
This compressor got good reviews and it was made in Taiwan and is an oil lubricated compressor, not an oil-free one.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/p..._200455336

I ran it through the break-in process per the manual and the two spots circled in red in the picture got hot enough so I couldn't hold my hand on them. I'm assuming this is normal for compressors but just wanted to verify that. One point is at the fitting where the air exits the cylinder head and the other point is where it enters the tank. The line that connects the two has fins on it so I'm assuming they are expecting that line to get hot along with the two points of concern.

Ed

Thanks given by:
hi yep them plases will get hot with the force of the comprest air passing thruw them
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: EdK
Bob's right, (what's new!) When the air is compressed it gets hot and when you decompress it (vent it ) it get's cool. Thumbsup

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004

Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
I have a small compressor just like that as well Ed. I might point out that while it's normal for that line to get hot during typical use, it gets EXTRA hot during the break-in procedure because the compressor is running non-stop for what is it..... 30 minutes with the tank valve wide open?

I ran mine through the break-in twice because there was quite a lot of metal sparkles that came out in the oil on the first run. I also got some on the second run but not nearly as much, so I'm glad to know it was pretty well cleaned out after the second oil change.
Willie
An electric powered air compressor gets that hot during break-in? Surprising.

I inherited the 5hp electric powered one with (I think) a 60 gallon tank in my shop and as I sit here I can't recall if it's a Sears Crapsman or a Porter Cable brand. It leaks from the quick disconnect for the output hose at the compressor side, so I always unplug the hose when I'm done. It also seems to lose a little even with the hose disconnected, but at a much slower rate. I suppose the "soapy water" test in due to see if it can be fixed with a reapplication of Teflon tape at the joints or replacing some parts.

What exactly will you use yours for, Ed? I only use mine occasionally to blow chips out of blind holes in parts, and in more rarely,, with the air tools I have. I've wheeled it out to the street for car repair work now and then. It's rather handy for that but size-wise it's right on the edge of "portable." Yours is far better for that task. :)
Thanks given by:
Nice purchase, Ed.

Like the others indicated, yes, it is normal for that line to get hot during use, and not just during break in. It is common for the line from the compressor to the tank to have cooling fins. They help to cool the air before it gets to the tank, where it cools even further and gives up it's moisture, most of which ends up in the bottom of the tank where we can drain it. During the winter months here in Minnesota it is common to see less moisture in the tank, due to the lower humidity. During the summer months you will swear it puts out more water than air!

I am fortunate enough to have two compressors, a 6 HP, 60 gallon unit in the garage (announces its presence to half the neighborhood every time it runs) and a little 3/4 HP unit for my not yet finished basement shop. The little unit is very quiet, and is all I will need for blowing chips out of the occasional blind hole and for running a Fogbuster style coolant setup. I never use compressed air to clean my lathe or mill; that job is reserved for the shop vac.
[Image: coffee2.gif]

Terry
Making stuff with old machines.
I'll mainly be using it for blowing out chips from blind holes and other inaccessible areas on machined parts and the usual inflating of stuff. I have a finish nailer that I haven't been able to use so now I can finally make some use of it.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I have an almost identical compressor, only it came from a skip needing the pressure switch cleaning out (full of sawdust but that was too much hassle for its pervious owner!), it's really useful, I use it for a little paint spraying, lots of inflating tyres, dusting off / chips-out, 3" cutoff saw power and with brake cleaner in the "paraffin gun" as a first step before working on oily motorbikes before taking an air impact wrench to them Big Grin

It's important to drain the tank regularly, a corroded pressure vessel is also known as a bomb... When I got mine I put an USB endoscope (£9.99 from a Chinese gentleman, also fits through spark-plug holes and has its own LED illumination) through the blanking plug on the end and gave it an Inspection, not knowing how well it had been looked after, before changing the compressor oil and tidying it up.

Enjoy, you'll keep finding more and more uses and accessories for it!
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
I have one about that size too (3HP belted). it'll produce enough air to blow chips & cool a cutter all day long. Smile
I just discovered another use for the compressor. Cleaning out my 3-jaw chuck. It made it so much easier getting the chips out of all of the nooks and crannies.

Ed
Thanks given by: