a simple yet complex weapon
hey everybody swordplayer here again, and i have a new project i need help with.

so the idea is pretty simple. i am going to attatch a Kunai or a 2 pound round weight on the edge of roughly a 6-10 ft 1×.5 inch chain (or a steel cable). but heres where it gets complicated for me. i need it to be RETRACTABLE!
i know it seems odd for me to want that in the first place but hear me out.

in a combat situation (since i am a melee weapon fanatic) the ability to have a small portable rig that you can extend to snare your enemy in is really something else.
the retraction is for the off chance that your initial swing/ extension missed.

so i was thinking of numerous carriers for such a device, such as a gauntlet attatchment where u can just strongly swing your arm, ot even just a 6 inch handle and a spool before the kunai or weight.

the most familiar product relevant would be a tape measurer or a rectractable key chain, just larger.

i know that the most basic.way would be to use a springloaded system but ive never actually made one or understand.the actual mwthod of function. (no need to bust open a tape measurer just to see whats inside lol.)

so i come to my fellow metalmongers for help. throw.me some of your ideas and opinions on how to make such a device or at least explain how the hell i could do it SAFELY.

i dont want a 5 inch knife flying towards me.at 20mph because i failed to wrap a bamboo shoot lol.
Thanks given by: