Looking At A Bigger Mill
I've been very temped to put a deposit down on one of these for some time now. The next scheduled delivery to Precision Matthews is in June or July. With shipping it would be about $5800. 20% down now and the rest once they arrived and were ready to ship out.

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-935H...Mills.html

I like the size and it gets very good reviews. It would be a huge step up from my Enco RF-45 clone dovetail column mill.

I just ran across this one from Grizzly and it would end up being about $5100 with shipping. There are none currently in stock but if I place an order they would not charge me until it shipped.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/9-X-49-V...-DRO/G0796

It's a new mill for Grizzly so no reviews available yet but it would also be a huge step up from my Enco mill.

Some of the pluses for the Precision Matthews:
  • High Grade Meehanite Castings
  • Turcite B way material for smoother table movements
  • Hardened and Ground table and way surfaces
  • High Precision Spindle with +/- .0001” or less runout for greater tool life and accuracy
  • Balanced pulleys in head for smooth and quiet operation
  • The Quill is Precision Ground, then Hard Chrome Plated for longer life
  • Made in Taiwan
  • Longest in class 5 YEAR WARRANTY against defective parts, including electrical

Some bullet points for the Grizzly:
  • 2-Axis DRO
  • Longitudinal power feed
  • Hardened and ground table surface
  • Chrome-plated precision-ground quill
  • Made in China
  • 1 year warranty

The Grizzly has the DRO and the X power feed and lower price. The Precision Matthews has the better materials and the longer warranty but is more expensive. This mill will be the last mill I purchase in preparation for retirement so I want to make a wise decision.

I know some of you are going to say I could get some good old American iron for that amount of money but I have no interest in getting a used mill. I just don't have the patience Darren has when it comes to refurbishing machinery.  Smile

I'm just thinking out loud here and am curious as to other peoples thoughts on this. In the end, I'll do what I think is best for my situation but it doesn't hurt to consider what others think.

Ed
Thanks given by:
This is another option, although not my preferred one. But still a step, or two, up from my Enco mill.

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/Jet836MIll.html

Ed
Thanks given by:
Why not a used Bridgeport?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
I'd stay away from Chinese Ed, my Taiwanese one has served me well. Check out Summit Machine Tools for grins, thats where I bought my 16 x 80 lathe. Great service. Not sure where they source the mills, the lathe was from Poland. Have to call them they don't list prices.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: EdK
I'd go with PM one Ed. You can always add a DRO and power feed down the track. In fact, you could probably use the power feed unit you already have. The warranty is good too.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: EdK
I have to agree with Vinny. That kind of money would buy a very nice low mileage Bridgeport or equivalent. Not sure what the Taiwanese machinery is like these days, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about the Chinese stuff.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I have a Taiwan built Alliant mill. As a LONG TIME user of genuine Bridgeports, I can say with confidence this is equal or better. The Taiwan built Acer, Sharp, Lagun and other makes are of similar quality (often identical) to this brand which is no longer sold. The domestic Wells-Index are also very desirable.

For that budget you really can get quite a good higher quality slightly used machine. Take your time and look around, be ready to strike on the best quality one you can find, you won't regret it. And you'd have a "full size" machine.
Thanks given by:
Ed, if 935 means 9" x 35" the PM mill has 14" less travel than the Griz.
Might be a deal breaker for me. Chin

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Well spotted Steve - I just looked at the specs and it is indeed a 9" x 35" table.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Ed,
Just go and buy what takes your fancy. Whatever the reasons make you choose the mill you do will be the right reasons for you. I guarantee you will be happy with your choice.
I am not you and nor is anyone else you.
So unless someone comes up with a good reason (such as, after 30 min use the head fell off ) not to buy a particular one go with what you fancy.

That's my 2 cents worth. Smile
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by: