How to square up an angle plate
Some time ago I needed a way to clamp something to my drill press table, so I made a very crude angle plate.  The job it was intended to do wasn't a precision one by any stretch of the imagination but I would like to be able to use it on my mill.

I'm not quite sure that I know how to go about it though.  Or am I just going to be wasting my time?

Here is the piece in question:

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
You have a surface grinder don't you?  17428 
Willie
Thanks given by:
Yes - but this isn't anywhere near square enough to put on the surface grinder Willie. I think it needs some time on the mill first
Thanks given by:
Good application for milling, then finish grind if you need it.

What's the biggest diameter cutter you have? Do you have another angle iron to clamp that piece to?

What are the inside and outside dimensions of the piece? If the inside is wider than you vise jaws, clamp it in the vise and have at it. Clean off one side smooth, flip it 90º and clean the other side. Now measure for square, shim as needed to take a final pass for square.

If NOT wider than the jaws, use a smaller but wider block inside the piece to push the surface against the solid jaw of the vise, from behind.
Thanks given by:
Ken I have a F2280.UB.051DC.Z03.04 2" face mill if we are talking carbide, or a 1-3/8" 6 flute end mill in HSS. I don't have a "real" angle to bolt it to but I do have other bits of angle iron kicking around.

I'll have to measure it up. The ends are all over the place, so I wondered if it was worth bolting it to the table and giving them a clean up first? I'm not really sure how best to hold it to start off with.
Thanks given by:
This is a timely post, I need a tall angle plate for holding shafts and cylinders when adding bolt circles.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
+1 for timely post. I have cast a pair of bodies for Rudy Kouhoupt's small simple dividing head. I cast it in Aluminum, using pretty coarse play sand, so it has a rough surface. I'm trying to square them up to drill/bore and ream for the spindle and tail stock center.
The patterns and castings are in this picture:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss157...b67ed6.jpg

I have cleaned up a couple of surfaces on each standard, but they aren't coming out square.

Chuck.
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
Bolt it to another angle plate Darren Big Grin 

[Image: P1040289.jpg]
[Image: P1040292.jpg]

But I always cook my weldments at blast mark 5 until thoroughly  black and crispy to remove any stress they may be feeling before machining .

[Image: P1040250.jpg]
[Image: P1040251.jpg]

Rob 
Thanks given by:
Nice finish off of that shaper Rob. It looks like it was run through a surface grinder.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Aye it dose a canny job Ed  Big Grin  

[Image: P1040306.jpg]

Crispy !

[Image: P1040278.jpg]

Not crispy  Smile

[Image: P1040282.jpg]

Rob 
Thanks given by: