Cobra Carbide
Anyone have any dealings with Cobra Carbide? They have some inserts on ebay at very reasonable prices. I'm wondering if they're just repackaged made in China inserts?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Never heard of them and I know carbide inserts pretty good, so chances are very high that you've correctly analyzed the situation. Name brand stuff for me, please.
Thanks given by:
Hmmm, their web site seems to imply they make their own stuff.

http://www.cobracarbide.com/AboutUs.aspx

Ed
Thanks given by: PixMan
My read on it is that they may grind a few round tools (end mills, taps, etc.) in their US facility, but their main carbide insert and rod blank manufacture takes place in Banglaore India. Believe me, they have NO business in US auto manufacturing. Any they cite would be in India.
Thanks given by: EdK
I'm with Ken - I'd prefer to buy well known brand inserts. I must say that I found it interesting that being a US company they published their feed and DOC data in metric. Has there been a shift in preference in the US?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I believe the US version of the company is simply the distribution point for their India made inserts and the round tools which may or may not be made here. I have my doubts about their US manufacturing because I didn't see any photos on their website that looked anything like what a "new world-class" tool production plant built here wouldlook like. I've been into Sandvik, Valenite, and Precision Twist Drill plants here and the Cobra plant photos look like my home shop by comparison.
Thanks given by:
My guess is their ""new world-class" tool production plant" is actually in India and not the USA as they seem to imply. Anyway, I ordered a few inserts at $2.80 each so I'm not out a bunch of money if they end up being totally junk.

Ed
Thanks given by: