Where I can get Inserts for this Indexable Mill
this is a 3 flute Indexable Millcutter I found on e bay  I was eager to buy it with such a good price

1-1/2 Hertel with ¾ shank Indexable Mill
Hertel 4,09000R237U Indexable Mill made in Germany

anyone know where I can get inserts for this Indexable Mill?
It has socket head sets as lock downs but is held by a bent finger key which  feeds through the cavity  and holds insert in place by the set screw
..I should of known better bc of price ..if  inserts are gona cost an arm n leg ill either modiphy tool else back to ebay
Thanks given by:
MSC handles Hertel brand tools.

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/?searchterm=Hertel

Ed
Thanks given by:
I searched Hertel milling inserts on MSC's website, came up with 241 results and not a single one looked like those tangential mount inserts. It hard to find proprietary milling inserts without the cutter being listed, and I have a feeling the cutter is long discontinued. That's not to say the inserts aren't available, just that sales volume in now so low that they're not listed any longer.

There's a lot of confusion on my part about Hertel. They are or were a German company which was bought years ago by Kennametal here in the US. The better products they had were converted to be Kennametal brand, so I searched Kennametal too. Nothing.

Hertel now seems to be an "MSC Exclusive" brand, which like the Accupro and others means MSC now owns the brand. Contact MSC via phone and see if they can dig deep. It may work, but chances are better that they will just try to get you to buy a newer product.

You (and anyone else) can always ping me about eBay finds before you buy. I wouldn't grab your possible deal, but can usually tell you before money is spent if the tool is viable.
Thanks given by:
Big Thanks for your time research....  Kinda figured
yea   I had a suspicion when I saw no bids  on the tool .  I did write the seller which confirmed size however  didn't say much about inserts when I  had asked.  after receiving the tool it became obvious I was gona have some trouble finding inserts and than if I did they would be like way too expensive not worth the tool...  

What do ya all think?  Maybe ill try to customize the mill to accommodate a common insert ?
Or furget the idea  and  pos sell it cheap to get something back ?

I must confess was one of my first e bay buys...  live an learn Btw I did score on a few tool lots which I kept what I needed and resold rest to paid off my item.
thanks again Kenny v
Thanks given by:
I'd sell it and look for something else. Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
I agree with Ed.

What is the initial reason for shopping, lets start with that.

I can be somewhat helpful in finding bargains on quality tools, if I know what the task at hand is.
Thanks given by:
 Ok Guys Got another one .The other mill is goin back to wher it came from .Any idea of what style  # of inserts to get for this One?

Here is all I know The  Manufacturer is VR Wesson
Model EMP-100-48
Main body Length 1.933"
Overall Length 4.437"
Shank size 1" x 2-1/2" long
just guessing but it looks like it uses inserts that are maybe 1/8 thick by 1" Long, the gap where the inserts rest is about .095" wide when the clamp is all the way closed,  1-1/2" cutting diameter as the body diameter without inserts measures about 1.400"
Thanks again for any info
Kenny v
Thanks given by:
Personally I would stick with common well known name tooling. Take a look at THIS THREAD
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Wow, yet another spindle hammer. At least you can get inserts for it, poor as they may be in performance. Be sitting down when you call for price.

http://vrwesson.com/products/indexable
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2015, 10:28 PM)PixMan Wrote: Wow, yet another spindle hammer. At least you can get inserts for it, poor as they may be in performance. Be sitting down when you call for price.

http://vrwesson.com/products/indexable

yea thanks u don't have to rub it in figured that was the case .. this tool at least is more modifiable what I was thinkin is using HSS cut off tool blanks maybe getting a 2 flute end mill side mill action out of it . Think that's is possible?
Thanks given by: