Face Mill
As I stated in my first post, I know little about setting up a mill other than putting a bit into a chuck and setting my depths. I now have my new mill set up but have a question. The mill came with a face cutter installed on it and I can't figure out how to get it off. I know it's probably a simple thing to do but I'm not seeing it. Plus I guess when I get that out I need to install my chuck. Here's a pic of it.

Now you guys/gals can call me anything you want but just not late to dinner!  Big Grin

[Image: Face%20Cutter_zpsess2s8mi.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks like a RF 25/30 mill.
Almost a certainty held in place with a draw bar. You will need to check the top of the spindle.
Undo the draw bar just one turn (from tight) and give the top of the draw bar a sharp tap preferably with a copper or brass headed mallet/hammer.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Once you get that piece of crap off of your mill, sell it on ebay and buy a decent face mill. My mill came with one of those and they are worthless.  Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys, I have no plans on using a face mill but you never know what the future will bring. I guess putting the chuck in would be just the reverse of taking the face mill off?
Thanks given by:
That face mill isn't that bad, can be useful. Difficult to set up in respect of getting all the tool tips cutting the same depth. Run it with two tool tips works a bit like a 'fly cutter' Smile 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2015, 08:49 PM)Thumb Wrote: I guess putting the chuck in would be just the reverse of taking the face mill off?

What spindle taper do you have? MT3 .....   R8 ?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2015, 09:08 PM)DaveH Wrote: That face mill isn't that bad, can be useful. Difficult to set up in respect of getting all the tool tips cutting the same depth. Run it with two tool tips works a bit like a 'fly cutter' Smile 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

Clearly we have a difference of opinion and that's fine. But I still say it's a piece of crap.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2015, 09:12 PM)DaveH Wrote:
(07-11-2015, 08:49 PM)Thumb Wrote: I guess putting the chuck in would be just the reverse of taking the face mill off?

What spindle taper do you have? MT3 .....   R8 ?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

It's an R8

As far as that face mill, I guess at some time I could try it and see what it does someday down the road. Here's the link to the mill I bought with all the specs just in case anyone wants to know. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-...33686.html
Thanks given by:
Found out how to remove and install the collet but looks like I'll need to buy some more collets. Any suggestions on where to get some at a good price?

Another question and probably not the last, I got the collet on but how does the chuck or any other kind of tool fasten onto the collet? The chuck I see slips onto the collet but what keeps it from falling off or turning?
Thanks given by:
The drawbar is what keeps the tools from falling out and spinning. As you tighten the drawbar, it pulls the tool/collet up inside the spindle, what the taper compresses the collet to hold the tool.

Does your drill chuck have a straight shank that goes into the collet or does it have an R8 one?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: