2 lathes please take a quick look
what do ya think  of these 2 lathes please take a quick look tell me if you  think  ya can turn any work on them?
Supposedly gear  box is good need to find out range # of threads ect.. and HP of motors

Old craftsman comes loaded 6" swing 4' length
ya think motor is 1/3 Hp

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/tls/5105109373.html

Southbend 40 inches
Some accessories come with it....
http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/tls/5104323813.html

I already have in mind of getting a Pm10x22 delivered with my new mill have till wed to decide  .. prob wont touch  either with a 10' pole  but just asking my boys for opinion to toss the idea around  ansd what yall think of these .
not sure of HP  need to get specks all I know is the craftsman comes loaded 6" swing 4' length I suspect head  will have junk for bearings (shaft  bushing style)No ?

TIA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Find yourself a 10" Logan like a 200 or similar model. You can typically find them for around $400-$800 depending on the accessories. Parts are readily available for them too straight from Logan Actuator. I have one and love it.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
let me cut the chase  Now the Q is
will  these   even come close to a Pm10x22 ?
Cuz .. im getting a pm932PDF next week and deciding on the PM10x22 ill havem shipped together
thanks

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1030.html
Thanks given by:
Everyone says -- and I tend to agree -- that USA made tools are made better. But....

... those lathes were made 60 years ago. They're much more likely to have worn beds, chipped gear teeth, bent lead screws, missing expensive or unobtainable parts, needing to do some serious horse-trading to complete your accessories, etc. etc.

The question is: do you really want a machine tool rebuilding hobby, or do you want a metal working hobby?

Not that there's anything wrong with either, but you have to know your mind before you pull the trigger. If you like the idea of restoring old lathes, buy and read "Machine Tool Reconditioning" by Connolly.

I'd pass on the Craftsman in any case, the South Bend is a much more competent tool.

This, btw, is coming from a guy who has a '58 Cincinnati 12x28 Tray-Top toolroom lathe in pieces, and a '86 Victor 16x40... trust me when I say that I love the one that is assembled and working even though it's from Taiwan.

I didn't buy the Victor new, but it arrived at my door with every possible accessory except DROs and a taper attachment. Most of the accessories were still in cosmolene and had never been installed (I had to adjust the mounting studs on the 4-jaw chuck the first time I put it on!!). Can't beat that with a stick.
Thanks given by:
I agree with Roadracer_Al on most everything other than you should inspect the South Bend in person. There's even odds that it may not need any rebuilding and may not need much in the way of parts, which are almost all easily available.

Now Roadracer_Al, How come I haven't seen any photos of your 1986 Victor 1640? I have one that's about 12 to 14 years older and would love to see yours. I really wish one of us had the no-longer-available taper attachment so it could be reverse engineered and made. I'm missing the spindle taper sleeve on mine, so beg you to measure it up for me and send me or post the dimensions.

Thanks!

Ken
Thanks given by:
I don't think I'd spend $1250 for the Craftsman unless I lived in Manhattan. Then space would be an absolute premium and I could probably afford it because I could afford to live in Manhattan.

The South Bend looks interesting. If the thing is in anything like working order and it has some basic tooling then it is probably worth the price. I agree that you have to decide if you're willing to put the work and possibly money into it.

I don't think I'd get the PM 1022 when I could get the PM 1030 for just $100 more. I predict that sooner or later you would need the extra bed length and regret not having it.

Charles
Charles Spencer, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2014.
Thanks given by:
What is the swing on the SB?  It looks bigger than the 14 1/2" X 60 I had, more like a 16".

As others have said the lathes are probably well worn.  I have 40 years of machining experience and I had to take liberties to hold tolerances on many occasions on the SB.  BTW, I also had a 9 X 36 SB.  Traded both of them in on my Logan 14X30 made in the late 70's that was used by a man in his one man machine shop.  Excellent machine that is in top condition.

I for one do not like to buy imported equipment, but I will concede the current crop of machines from Taiwan are not too bad.  Main land Chinese machines are a whole different breed and I will not touch one with a ten foot pole.  Had a couple of brand new Jet 14X40 "industrial grade" lathes in a school shop I ran.  Junk from the word go.  If/when I have the money I plan to purchase a Lion lathe made in Eastern Europe. 

So I recommend passing on both.
Thanks given by: Kennyv
thanks Guys I duno why I even looked at these guess curiosity sort of like don't look at the scary monster but ya have to look. .... so is the census get the PM 10x30? or have other ideas...lol.. Btw please don't say get the 11x27 or bigger.....

Btw I worked on an ole Lion prob like 20" bed.
When I got to Co. the machine was sipped in back corner not used . Someone broke the carriage feed didn't have a good 4 jaw chuck either. They threw me on machine when another larger bed machine was tied up and needed parts. .. Made a faceplate adaptor for Mounting a new good chuck . And fixed the entire machine from ground up...... > the Qc guy said I turned the best shafts out of that shop.

Thanks given by:
Stan, looked up Lion lathe and it appears thats what I have, rebadged as Summit, the American importer. Thought it was made in Poland but guess its Bulgaria. Nice lathe.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Beat the guy up on the $1250 atlas down to $1000 piece sell it on ebay and make $700 profit because that's what i see there. I own a 12'' atlas and its not up to the job too light too frustrating. People love them and they sell like hot cakes.

I have owned that Southbend and liked it, quite a rugged little machine, but like someone mentioned a lot of time to invest in getting it working.

I also agree with the logan lathe suggestion as i did just what he said, I got a 200 sires logan complete with 4 jaw, 3jaw, face plate and taper attachment for less than $300 and never looked back, I love the logan product, irony is i paid more for the quick change gear box i modified and put on it.

I have fiddled around with old stuff so long now i am tired of it, my next purchase is going to be a grizzly gunsmith lathe with all the bells and whistles on it and go on the payment program for around $5,000 I have herd nothing but good comments on them..

Just my two cents..  Best of luck

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by: