Idea Making ready for new Mill /Lathe
Been busy with a few things goin on at once .. still don't have horiz band saw back together bc I started 2 more projects..lol.... Making ready  and  design base stand for  New PM932 PM10x22 lathe, AND a  Proto, (  secret project  mod and resell)

I wanted some opinion what do ya think ?… I am going to put the PM932PDF in place of the PM25 its gona be on a frame base with adjusting mounting legs and 2” steel casters . Looks like a good height lift would be 5-6 inches so im goin with that.

Here is what im left with as far as room on that side of garage . Btw I may have to downsize (not get rid of beer fish fridge) and hopfullynot but down these storage shelves and buy another cart with storage. Altho I have my eye on another tool storage cart I am trying to avoid dowing shelf space and going to attempt tp place the Pm10x22 lathe in front of shelves. Raise up the bottom shelfves and leave some room in back to get to heavy dead storage . Now I dunno if its gona fly but running out of room ideas . Here is wall from left to Right tghers a shelf in corner not seen to the left of frige . The door juts opens with front garage door closed .. Than the spot for new mill out from wall aprox 36' to front side of base on New mill. Than next to that is open space to get to compressor ect... than about 2 feet Next the spot for lathe. The pic shows a box that may represent the lathe in its place

What ya all think ? Will this work out anything else I can do without loosing shelves for tooling as im running out of room and ideas??? I already made a 2 trier machine grind bench with 2 top shelves . Access for loft in ceiling with t 2 rap doors to put lengths of stock . Maybe one spot is where im gona put a block n tackle for lifting machines .. thats still undecided cuz I may go the free route get machies in place leave that idea for down the road .

Anyways anyone see  something i may not. Up for ideas guys. Id like to throw it around for discussion.
Thanks again

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
The best way I've found is to get some graph paper and lay it out. Take each machine and cut it out of the graph paper so you can move them around to find the best fit. I did that and got an extra 10' of shelf space (floor to ceiling) and alot of extra room. After I rearranged everything the wife came out here and almost passed out when she saw how much extra room I had.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
"Cheap" Inexpensive  Hoist  .

Gona sister up  the beams in garage to lift up machines. maybe borrow a lolly column (sp)?

trying to avoid buying a block and tackle or having to rent borrow a hoist. Prob have do myself so need to think ahead  in a game  plan  

Tonight I need  to pack up machine my self  if this works ill be beefing up beams and making some sort of weight distribution for the beams in garage celling I suspect they are only to hold roof up and NOT designed/ built to hold any sort of weight .Than when 2 new machines come need to figure a way to get em both up on bases .Couple 2x 4's  sling.. an old rope hoist I had in my camping gear for 30 years I think I paid $5 for .

If anyone has done this sort of thing ( beefed up beams for more support) Please do share how you went about it? Otherwise wish me luck bc im a one man band.

thanks

Thanks given by:
(07-15-2015, 10:55 PM)Kennyv Wrote: .

Gona sister up  the beams in garage to lift up machines. maybe borrow a lolly column (sp)?

Kenny, When did you start worrying about spelling?  Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I had a spiral staircase installed. The stairs were attached to a single round iron column. I installed a lally column underneath for support. However, I think for such temporary use you could probably use a beam standing upright. You could knock it into position or possibly support it with a floor jack.

I've lifted a couple of machines into position using lifting straps, a chain fall, and a heavy duty I screw in the joist above where it was going. I just left the I screws installed in case I need to move them again. I'm not too sure about using rope as it has a tendency to stretch and old rope decays over time. I don't know if 2x4s will be strong enough either. And the machines might tend to slide on them. I got lifting straps from HF. They did the job and were cheap enough:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-x-6-...95626.html
Charles Spencer, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2014.
Thanks given by:
LOL  ure write Steve ..  as u c Math was my strong subject ...lol... no time for proper grammer or is that Grandmur?

To all my Mechanical friends . If ya can have a quick look at what im trying to do id appreciate a reply if ya done so before  thanks . On FB /forums I usually dont ask for help cuz is so consuming waiting for reply when ya need to get something done  ( using e mail computers have there place but I find getting info restricted ).. same is stupid texting , . However I do appreciate all ideas and input . I rather make a phone call cover large amount of info in short time. But here goes  .Now  pic is worth a few hundred words . So let me explain what id like help on perhaps someone who has a good working knowledge of properly supporting beams/sistering roof/ floor  joists ( or whatever they are called  can lend a hand...

Here is what I am thinking let me know if this sounds like a reasonable plan? I want to support  ceiling joists ( if thats what they are called... and add  cross beams and proper supports up to (rafters)? To make a surface area strong enough to dead lift aprox  1000 pounds.  

The joists are running horizontal in ceiling are  NOT supported w/ cross beams they look like they run the length of garage sister-ed in the middle and run  length of garage total of 20'
Gona sister up  the one main beam that I want to hang the lift hook or hang my lifting device of choice.
Than run  2 support joists ( one on either side)  the opposite way cross sectioned lets say 8' vertically. I was thinin 2” 8 Ft 2x4s opposite way    Than add support columns  up to rafters from the cross beams  Now a Big Q is   do I need two  One on each side or one is adequate ?
So far is this  is close  and will get the Job done let me know if it will work ? otherwise I may have to  borrow a lolly column (sp)?when lifting as well . Please let me know if adding the lollies is a must for 1000 pounds or proper supporting  will be enough ? This a one or two time deal I will NOT be using it for work service or lifting Equipt on a reg bases.   . Here are supporting pics as what is described .  THANKS AGAIN

Btw   Right now trying to avoid buying a block and tackle or having to rent borrow a hoist. Prob have do myself so need to think ahead in a game plan. Yea the cheap  (inexspensive) way good ole  engineering . Work smarter not harder  and save the Dollar ….lol.....
Tonight I need to pack up machine my self if this works ill be beefing up beams and making some sort of weight distribution for the beams in garage ceiling I suspect they are only to hold roof up and NOT designed/ built to hold any sort of weight .Than when 2 new machines come need to figure a way to get em both up on bases .Couple 2x 4's sling.. an old rope hoist I had in my camping gear for 30 years I think I paid $5 for .If anyone has done this sort of thing ( beefed up beams for more support) Please do share how you went about it? Otherwise wish me luck bc im a one man band

Thanks given by:
I made posts to support the ceiling joists a couple of times. Backed the pickup into the shop and hammered two carefully made 4x4 supports on each side of the truck between the joist and the floor. Lifted machine, drove truck out, lowered machine and removed the supports.

I just remembered a 4x4 beam laid across, above the joist and spanning the two supports. The idea was to keep the load off of the joists. The joists just held my frame up.
Thanks given by:
I agree with using 4x4s instead of 2x4s. I can't help with the design 'cuze I have a hilo but Sunset's plan sounds good. As to your rope hoist, BUY NEW ROPE!!!!!! If you lived closer I'd loan you my chain fall. If you lived on the same street I'd drive the hilo over!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
all fig out called up my best bud .. he gots the lolloes talked me into using 3 2x6 even has 2 strung together . Gona putem perp to celling joists add lollies done deal add my lifting apparatus (my rope hoists) lol without changing the rope.... else ill splurge for cheapo (inexpensive) 1 ton block and tackle . Gona start building my rolling based stand for New PM 932pdf next week

ok not a fully wasted day but played hookie from work again.... needed to get history behind the SB lathes lol..... making ready for a PM 932 Pdf say gb to the Pm25..Shipin out Mon . Took mew longer to pack dang thing up than set it up..... The following week should receive the new mill in the mean time on a hunt for a brand new used lathe with the fixins . If I cant locate one ill chill for a bit and go fishin take and long needed vacation day out off of woik. .

Thanks given by:
Ok need  to set record straight some of the boys are / were concerned how I was gona go about the lift of the new machine have to confess I was sorta kidding   about the  rope  however I may have  but sinse il;l be doing all by myself .. I elected to go by the Block and tackle ..   anyways  here was my response in explanation  in case you guys were all worried too

Quote:im already on to it even  before I read your post I  had purchased  what was needed lol Guess what  same  block tac too got 20% too ... kinda find it  funny  .. Not my first rodeo bro   was kinda joking  ..im highly aware of proper improper lifting tecq...thanks for looking out Bro....  I too  have lifted loaded and than some .. at 14 years pulled my first motor  rebuilt stripped 2 cars to make one .. Before 18  built my first street rod from Ground up . That was out of 3 cars  and 2  chassis Uni-body nova Camaro/ Nova ...  I have worked in shops where we have lifted 20K 30K  using  overhead cranes and than some . Worked at machine job where I had  to load 20' shafts over 12" diam . and we had to use fork lift . Most times I had to load my machine  myself ... didn't trust the hired help and they were all drunks .. so yea I get the pic its all good . ya have to believe me I already purchased what I needed 2 hours before I even read your post   its all good thanks for looking out taking the time  to speak the truth in a kind way ..  ok now I gots to make ready put this together ill post pics for all your approval  tonight Ohh Btw goin to  take a day off  picked up a trailer tonight goin to go check out the SB10x24 HD first thing tomorrow .  If its tight  hey maybe be mines to keep    . Exiting day ahead of me haven't felt this   excited last fishin trip

Thanks given by: