looking to purchase some tooling
Looking  to purchase  some tooling like some feedback from the experts. Smile
First a  5” or 6 “ mill vice for PM932     what is best fit ?

2nd looking for  Quick Change Tool Post Set 5 Holders for a 10x30 lathe

Is the BOSTAR AXA Size Quick Change Tool Post Set A pc of junk?
If so any better alternatives for a reasonable price?

and how bout CDCO machine vises?  

was considering the 6 inch mill vise w/ swivel base . If is crapola just say  not worth it get better one. In the past  I did buy a few things from CDCO some stuff was ok other stuff I sent back and took loss of shipping ….

I may just bite the bullet and  order the Homge  from  Quality machine tools
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/VisesHi...ision.html

But first  wanted to know what ya all thought for the Pm 932.
A 5” or the 6” mill vise . Which  would be better fit for mill ?  esp considering   table Y travel to column?

Back  to AXA tool Holders in your opinion what is the quality from junk  to stay away to ok good for home use  lil better quality ?

What is best choice and where would be best price ?
TIA Big Grin

BOSTAR AXA Quick Change
Shars Lathe AXA Wedge Type Quick Change
Phase II  AXA  Tool Post Set 5 Holders
Thanks given by:
Kv, my HF mill has a 10x28 in table and I bought a 4" vise for it.  This vise fits perfectly on my machine and a 5" or 6" would be too much of a good thing.  If I get to a point where a work piece is too big for my vise I'll just clamp or fixture it right to the table.  Just my 2¢ and YMMV.

This vise is a Kurt lookalike that my wife purchased on eBay from jtsmachinery for my birthday last year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-MILLING-MACHIN...43d9fc45d2

And as an FYI I took the swivel base off and put it in long term storage.  Hope this is helpful.

JScott, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
4 inch vice works for me too. Like JScott, anything bigger bolts to the table. Sometimes I use two vices, one on each end of the work. Long shafts, for example. A larger vice might also hang off the table, hitting the column and reduce capacity.

I bought a QC tool holder from CDCO. Works great, I should get another. I like his LIGHT-DUTY 5 inch 3-jaw chucks too, I've bought 3 of them - .001 runout for $65.

A warning - CDCO charged my credit card twice for the last chuck and would not refund until I got the card company involved. I'd describe them as "less than honest".
Thanks given by:
I have a 4" Glacern vise on my Clausing 8520 and I would buy any this else aside from a Kurt now. I have a few other cheaper vises but none of them hold work as firmly or accurately as the Glacern. One of them is so bad actually, I have sent it to the welding table to hold parts for welding.
Shawn, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
My Enco RF-45 clone mill has a 9.5" x 32.25" table and I've used my 6" Kurt vise on it without a problem. Some Bridgeport type mills have 9" tables and use 6" Kurt vises all of the time.

As for QCTP sets, I'd suggest the Phase II. It's one of the better ones coming out of China.   Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
Here's the problem I have with my 4" - it wasn't on a swivel, but has mounting lugs that puts the vice 90 degrees to the norm. You can see how it might hit the column. 
I've been tempted to hack the lug off, notch the column, or buy another vice... Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(07-14-2015, 01:49 PM)Sunset Machine Wrote: Here's the problem I have with my 4" - it wasn't on a swivel, but has mounting lugs that puts the vice 90 degrees to the norm. You can see how it might hit the column. 
I've been tempted to hack the lug off, notch the column, or buy another vice... Smile

Why not just move the vice toward you one slot?  17428

Ed
Thanks given by:
I got my AXA from CDCO. No complaints. Wherever you decide to get it from, get the WEDGE type, not the piston. It's a more solid fit. My Logan came with a piston type, it's getting swapped out with my wedge type.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Right on Ed , hey Vinnie you know that's the most practical advise you have given besides not getting rid of the Beer fridge .
Shawn that " Glacern is a nice vise looked at a few of them today as well as Wiltons and Kurts a bit much for my needs but I like em very much ... Did some ebay shopping today didn't see much and have to consider shipping costs too. Now I did call PM today looks like they are out of 6" Homge which IMo not too shabby for the Money .. but the 5 inch really is a 4.5" with 5 width . So looks like another dilemma . Some guys are saying 6 inch is way to go ..But again I need to hear from other Folks that concur . Hate to get a vice that will be limited even if I make extended jaws ect.. But mostly don't want to waist the moneys on anchor weights either.
Thanks given by:
(07-14-2015, 03:55 PM)EdK Wrote:
(07-14-2015, 01:49 PM)Sunset Machine Wrote: Here's the problem I have with my 4" - it wasn't on a swivel, but has mounting lugs that puts the vice 90 degrees to the norm. You can see how it might hit the column. 

Why not just move the vice toward you one slot?  17428

Ed

Poor machine design; the quill won't reach far enough over the table. That slot would limit capacity to about one inch in the vice. Here's a pic with the vice in that slot and the table crushed up to the column. There's no room left to work in. This is the situation Kenny is trying to avoid.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by: EdK