How to best clean up 10 guage sheet of steel?
New to metal question.  I have a sheet of steel (below) I am going to use as a work surface on a work bench.

Want to clean/polish it then protect if possible (clear coat?)

Looking for some suggestions on best way to do so.

MANY thanks!

Todd in Cincinnati

[Image: metal.jpg]
Thanks given by:
A Scotch-Brite pad should work.

Scotch-Brite

Ed
Thanks given by:
Go to an automotive paint supply and get some metal prep. It's a weak phosphoric acid solution used to prepare steel and aluminum surfaces for paint and will clean up your sheet metal nicely, along with the Scotch-Brite pad already mentioned..
Clear coat won't hold up on a work surface like that. You would be better off just re-cleaning when needed.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks gentlemen!
Thanks given by:
Tom,

Thanks for the tip on the metal prep. I've wondered how aluminum should be prepared for painting. I've always just scuff-sanded it and that helps but it still doesn't bond very well. I'll have to pick up some of the metal prep.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Would fine steel wool be equivalent to scotch brite pad?
Thanks given by:
(07-30-2015, 09:39 AM)a_gunslinger Wrote: Would fine steel wool be equivalent to scotch brite pad?

Depends upon which Scotchbrite type you use.

If it's an industrial grade, YES. If it's the abrasive grain free "kitchen" type...NO.

I have the handheld pads 7224 and they work great, but for your large area task I'd be looking for the rotary pads you can fasten to an angle grinder or polisher.
Thanks given by:
I use the maroon 7447 pads for that sort of thing. They hold up well to the acid etch (unlike steel wool).

Ed: Aluminum can be challenging to paint. It definitely needs to be roughed up to give the paint something to bite into, but it also needs to be scrupulously clean. That's what the metal prep does. I normally apply primer/filler to the bare metal, sanding between coats until the scratches are filled, then paint.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: EdK
Todd-
Cut your scotch-brite pad to fit a palm sander, conserve your elbow grease for important things like your favorite beverage afterwards.

Ed-
The best results I've had with aluminum came from using Aluma-Prep, followed by Alodine coating before priming. If you don't need industrial quantities (expensive!), West Systems makes a small kit with both treatments in the kit. Use the prep first and rinse immediately; the water should run off in sheets. Follow with the orange alodine using a clean paper towel and rinse. Give it an hour to dry and harden, and prime. The alodine is orange so you can see where you missed with the prep.

Regards,
Bob
bobm4360, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by: EdK