Turcite B
I've noticed that the better mills advertise that the ways are coated with Turcite B. What exactly is this and is it just a marketing gimmick or is there actually some value to having it on the ways? My new mill has this stuff on it so I'm curious if it's all it's cracked up to be.  Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Maybe you could find some info here http://www.professionalplastics.com/TURCITEB Looks good but since it is a plastic I wonder how it holds up to contamination from tiny machining chips. Chin  Maybe it's replaceable? (prolly not necessary in your lifetime) 17428

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
here's a little info on it,
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2015, 08:09 AM)dallen Wrote: here's a little info on it,

That certainly is a little. 17428

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2015, 06:03 AM)stevec Wrote: Looks good but since it is a plastic I wonder how it holds up to contamination from tiny machining chips.

I was wondering the same thing.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2015, 10:35 AM)EdK Wrote:
(09-08-2015, 06:03 AM)stevec Wrote: Looks good but since it is a plastic I wonder how it holds up to contamination from tiny machining chips.

I was wondering the same thing.

Ed

That's a good thing Thumbsup  so wonder no more Smile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Seriously Ed ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,your mill has Turcite ways  Slaphead  ,,Oh no !   , best thing you can do is to ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just crate it straight back up and send it to me for safe disposal  Big Grin

Rob
Thanks given by:
I think the main value is that it can be used to rebuild a worn out machine. But the thing is, it has to be milled / ground / scraped in after it is applied (or re-applied). I suppose it's friction reducing and anti-wear qualities are a plus on a new machine. My question is does it make things as smooth as a set of ball screws though?  Chin

Quote:SlydwayR is especially applicable to the refurbishment of
worn machine tools. Worn linear bearings can be
machined back and brought to the original working tool
heights and centre lines by the application of SlydwayR
material of suitable thickness.

http://www.aetnaplastics.com/site_media/...hure_1.pdf
Willie
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2015, 02:56 PM)RobWilson. Wrote: Seriously Ed ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,your mill has Turcite ways  Slaphead  ,,Oh no !   , best thing you can do is to ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just crate it straight back up and send it to me for safe disposal  Big Grin

Rob

Rob,

You caught me just in time. I was about ready to throw out the side and top panels from the crate. I'll get it ready to go ASAP so you should see it about, ah, never.  Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Wow! Expedited shipping! You can't beat that Rob!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: