Saw Recommendations
I have a MK Morse dry cut metal chop saw.  It does a great job but makes a mess throwing little metal pieces all of the garage.  I was looking for something that would not make a mess to keep the clean up to a minimum.  Can anyone recommend a good band saw or cold cut saw that does not throw steel chips everywhere.  The cost bogey would be $500 to $2000.

Thanks
Neal

BTW, here is a picture of my latest completed project.

Thanks given by:
Nobody has any suggestions?
Thanks given by:
(09-17-2015, 12:07 AM)NealC Wrote: Nobody has any suggestions?

Neal,

What are you going to be cutting? That can make all the difference in your choice. I prefer bandsaws for cutting metal. This is a nice one that's on sale and Enco has free shipping now on ground shipments including freight items.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTP...A=137-3190

By the way, nice table.  Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-15-2015, 09:20 PM)NealC Wrote: I was looking for something that would not make a mess to keep the clean up to a minimum.  Can anyone recommend a good band saw or cold cut saw that does not throw steel chips everywhere.

Neal, Smiley-signs046 to the forum.

I can't think of any saw that isn't going to make a mess to some extent, by virtue of the fact that they all remove metal chips from the work and deposit them somewhere. I have one of the band saws that Ed linked to above and I believe he does too. They do make excellent cuts but you still get a mess of metal chips that build up on the machine over time and has to be cleaned up. The piles of chips are much more localized than a chop saw that throws them a farther distance though. I find the cooling/lube system to be a big help as well in extending the life of the saw blades, and making smoother cuts. And you have a (limited) option of using it as a vertical band saw also. Much quieter in use than a chop saw for sure.

If throwing chips is your main concern about your chop saw, have you thought about adding a vacuum system to collect them as you are cutting? I would think a shop vac and bit of metal flexible tubing and perhaps a DIY cyclone collector to keep the sparks and hot chips out of the shop vac would take care of the majority of the mess.

Smiley-gen163

And I agree, that is a VERY nice looking table/bench you have built there. Smiley-eatdrink004
Willie
Thanks given by:
Lost Creek Machine (metro Chicago) has a Wellsaw model 1016 for just under $3K at bit too far for you to pick it up.  However you may want to check around with the machine tool dealers in your area.  A good used industrial machine tool is frequently much better than new Chinese.  Other excellent brands are Ellis and Johnson.  I've also seen some excellent saws made in Italy at a fairly reasonable price.

There are several used band saws on Flea Bay (Ebay) including Wells, Kalamazoo, and Dake.  So I'd also check with your local Craig's List.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the ideas. It would be for metal cutting. The MK Morse saw literally throws metal chips in a 5-10 foot radius so if I have anything around it, it gets metal chip in it. I was just wondering if a band saw would be a better choice since it would not have that issue or if there are other cold cut or dry cut chop saws that didn't have the issue of throwing chips everywhere in the garage. I haven't used a band saw in 30 years but as I recall, it will not be as fast as a chip saw. Is that still true?
Thanks given by:
I have the red HF H/V bandsaw. When in horizontal mode (which is where I usually use it) the chips fall straight to the floor. There's a mod that extends the tray to under blade that eliminates that.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum Neal 

Nothing to add about saws ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but that's one mighty fine looking bench/table set  Worthy   , rather fetching .

Rob
Thanks given by: NealC
The saw I linked to is made in Taiwan as was my saw and I haven't had to do a thing to it. It just keeps cutting away without complaint. The fit and finish is better than all of the ones I looked at including the Jet, which was a lot more money.  Smiley-gen163

And yes Neal, a bandsaw is going to cut slower than a chop saw or a cold saw. I guess I've never been in that big of a hurry that's worth all the mess those types of saws make. If the saw is for business then I can see needing a fast cutting one since time is money.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Neal..

I know exactly what you mean about the metal cutting saw you own, I have one too and the chips are slither's and very annoying especially if you get them in your skin or eye, very dangerous, they are not worth the effort.

I take it you welded your frame by the looks of it which means your in the FAB business, a nice plasma cutter would complement your tooling inventory in the FAB shop, not much room needed, not much mess, cuts steel straight and square,  certainly more versatile than any saw, you also will need a decent air compressor to keep up with it but you then will have shop air for tooling. well within the budget you reported...

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by: