Soldering station?
I have an old WTCP style Weller soldering station that I have been less-than impressed with. It uses the magnetically controlled soldering tips for temperature regulation, so you have to buy different tips to get different temperatures. They have not been very consistent for me and seem to rust very quickly and get stuck in the soldering pencil / heating element.

I would like to change to a digitally controlled soldering station that isn't ridiculously priced. How are the NEWER Wellers? What about Hakko? Any thoughts?
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie,

I've had this one for quite some time ... http://www.weller-toolsus.com/soldering/...v-eta.html ... and like it. It replaced the WTCP system when I had the same issues you had with it. The last time I bought any tips ... several years ago ... they seemed to be reasonably priced and available in a large variety of shapes.

I see that Weller has new styles of head units but I've not researched it enough to know if they are an improvement over what I have.

You might want to look at the forum on http://www.eevblog.com for feedback of the Hakko products.

Arvid
Thanks given by: Highpower
We used to use Pace equipment at work but the last several years they've gone down hill. We no longer use Pace products at all. We now use Weller for the finer soldering jobs like the small surface mount components and use Hakko for the larger soldering jobs. Our solder sucker is also Hakko. Granted, this isn't for home use so YMMV. At home I have a dual station Hakko that's built like a tank and weighs about as much, it's all steel. It's a very nice soldering station but unfortunately they quit making it quite some time ago.

I agree with what Arvid said about checking out http://www.eevblog.com/forum/ .

Hope this helps some.

Ed

Thanks for the info guys. I seem to be having a lot of issues getting to a lot of websites with Thunderbird ever since the last updates I downloaded. The wife is having the same problem as well. If/when we find out what the issue is and hopefully correct it, I'll definitely have a read through the eeeblog site.

Arvid, your version of the Weller station is one I have been looking at (or the latest iteration anyway...) but the "barrel assembly" on the iron is one of my main gripes about the Weller. I'll have to have a closer look at the newest models. This is just for home use, and I'm not capable of doing any surface mount work, so it doesn't need to be anything exotic. I'm just tired of having to replace tips / barrels and such after only a half dozen uses. I imagine that is the reason that the place where I got them had tossed them in the dumpster. I managed to take parts from 3 units and put together one that worked. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(11-25-2015, 10:45 AM)Highpower Wrote: .... I seem to be having a lot of issues getting to a lot of websites with Thunderbird ever since the last updates I downloaded. The wife is having the same problem as well....

Try using Firefox instead.  Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Willie,

Over the years I've replaced several tips but never had to replace a barrel assembly or anything else.

The tips were replaced after what I considered reasonable wear, tear and users inability to insure the tip was tinned. I also changed how I used the iron. In the past I would simply 'leave it on' when soldering a board, which meant that it would be hot but unused for long intervals [10 to 30 minutes] while I did other things and them resume soldering. Now I make sure I have tinned the tip and then shut it off if it will not be used immediately. Yes, that means that I have to turn it on for the next 'soldering session' but it comes up to temperature [600+ F] in what seems like less than a minute.

So the incantation is "populate the board, turn soldering station on, put board into PCB holder ... https://panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1...udatarq=25 ..., clean tip with this ... https://www.radioshack.com/products/radi...5717831429 ..., put on magnifying lense, solder components, clean and tin tip, turn off soldering station, wash, rinse, repeat."

As a side note I'm in the process of converting to SMT and just replaced a DIY toaster re-flow oven with a real ... at least in terms of hobby use ... re-flow oven. Bev decided the DIY version gave off strange odors and forced [yeah, that's the term I will use ;-}] me to get a real one.

Arvid
Thanks given by:
(11-25-2015, 10:53 AM)EdK Wrote:
(11-25-2015, 10:45 AM)Highpower Wrote: .... I seem to be having a lot of issues getting to a lot of websites with Thunderbird ever since the last updates I downloaded. The wife is having the same problem as well....

Try using Firefox instead.  Big Grin

Ed

.jpg   homer---doh.JPG (Size: 28.54 KB / Downloads: 87)
Willie
Thanks given by:
(11-25-2015, 11:10 AM)arvidj Wrote: Willie,

Over the years I've replaced several tips but never had to replace a barrel assembly or anything else.

The tips were replaced after what I considered reasonable wear, tear and users inability to insure the tip was tinned. I also changed how I used the iron. In the past I would simply 'leave it on' when soldering a board, which meant that it would be hot but unused for long intervals [10 to 30 minutes] while I did other things and them resume soldering. Now I make sure I have tinned the tip and then shut it off if it will not be used immediately. Yes, that means that I have to turn it on for the next 'soldering session' but it comes up to temperature [600+ F] in what seems like less than a minute.

So the incantation is "populate the board, turn soldering station on, put board into PCB holder ... https://panavise.com/index.html?pageID=1...udatarq=25 ..., clean tip with this ... https://www.radioshack.com/products/radi...5717831429 ..., put on magnifying lense, solder components, clean and tin tip, turn off soldering station, wash, rinse, repeat."

As a side note I'm in the process of converting to SMT and just replaced a DIY toaster re-flow oven with a real ... at least in terms of hobby use ... re-flow oven. Bev decided the DIY version gave off strange odors and forced [yeah, that's the term I will use ;-}] me to get a real one.

Arvid

Arvid, the reason I have had to replace so many tips and barrels is because something in the magnet "system" sticks on occasion, and overheats the iron. The heating element swells and the nut on the barrel assy galls the threads... yada, yada, yada. Bash That is how I learned to turn mine off during long sessions. Big Grin
I'm just to the point where I am tired of having to deal with it now.

I have the same Panavise and board holder! Same Radio Shack tinning/cleaner paste too. Thumbsup

Ed, it looks like the "refresh" function in FIREFOX took care of my browser problem.... Smiley-signs140
Willie
Thanks given by:
Hi Willie 

I have the Hakko FX-888D , just arrived last week as it happens  Big Grin  , as I am determined to get on and make a start  learning electronics this winter , the ones I use at work are a tad to large for soldering circuit boards  ,anyway I be waffling , I went for the Hakko because I like the colour of it   Drool , narh ! a lad at work has one and I like the compact size and build quality , and it has a good heat range,pre sets and the likes . 

The problem I had getting a Hakko in the UK was avoiding cheap knockoffs , there are lots out there   , even the wellers are being copied ,so I would buy from a reputable company what ever you decide to go for .

Rob ,   fondling his new iron  Big Grin
Ps , not to hijack the thread ,,,,,,,,,,,,,just a quick hands up ,who is into electronics ? 

Rob
Thanks given by: