OnShape, a Free 3D CAD Program
I mentioned this in the "What did you do today" thread, but that probably wasn't the best venue, so I figure that it's worth mentioning it again in its own thread.

I'm constantly asked what CAD program I use to design and detail the projects on my website and my response is that I use SolidWorks, but unfortunately it costs $4K a seat (I get it through work), so it's probably not realistic for most hobbyists. However I recently discovered  that the founder of SolidWorks, Jon Hirschtick recently left and started a new venture called OnShape. Apparently he became disillusioned with the parent company, Dassault Systemes when they refused to support his efforts to make SolidWorks cloud based.

A cloud based CAD system has many advantages over a CAD program running on a PC. It doesn't require a cutting edge computer to run it. In fact, it can be run on any basic PC, tablet or smart phone. Most of our CAD issues at work are the result of computers being inadequate for the task, with too little memory, an outdated graphics card or just too slow for the latest version of SolidWorks. Another Plus of a cloud based system is that it is easy for multiple users to share a design. Designs can be branched out and worked on in parallel by multiple users and then merged at a later time. This collaboration combined with lower cost (the $100/month rate is about the same that we pay for our annual service contract alone) and no need to deal with updates, file handling  or software issues makes cloud based CAD quite enticing.

Anyway, I started this thread to point out the fact that there is a free 3D CAD system available to anyone who want's sign up for it. It provides full access to the program with the only limitation being the number of files allowed. Free users are only allowed ten files before they either have to be downloaded or made public. In reality this isn't a problem for most of us because a "file" in OnShape is everything associated with one project. That means all the parts, assemblies. sub-assemblies, drawings and support documents.

Anyway I've been using it and it is quite powerful and intuitive. It is still fairly green, so it does lack some of the niceties of Solidworks, but if you guys are looking for a CAD system with more to offer than Sketch-up or DraftSight, you may want to check it out. It is full 3D, so you can get pretty crazy with animated assemblies, which can save a lot of design time over working in a 2D system.

OnShape

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks heaps for the pointer Tom, I have been telling myself for ages that I should get into CAD, when I saw your mention of it the other day I decided to have a look. I've signed up and have been going through the tutorials, my first ever attempt so no doubt will take me a while to get the hang of it but I'm excited to be having a go.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Tom, how does it compare with Fusion 360? I'm putting a PC together at the moment specifically to try it out as it needs a 64 bit machine and all mine to date are 32 bit. Fusion is cloud based, free to enthusiasts, and also includes a CAM module which is what attracted me in the first place.
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
I only discovered OnShape a few weeks ago and that was because of my association with SolidWorks. You'll have to check out this Fusion 360 and let us know.

Ok, you got my curiosity going so I took a peek. Fusion 360 is only free for the first 30 days, then it's $25 a month.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Free for Start Ups, Students and Hobbyists:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/try-buy
Thanks given by:
(01-16-2016, 10:38 AM)awemawson Wrote: Free for Start Ups, Students and Hobbyists:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/try-buy

Fusion 360 looks interesting. Thanks for posting the link.

Ed

EDIT: the free version for hobbyists is good for one year. I assume after the year, you'll likely have to sign up again.
Thanks given by:
If you follow the link it says after the first year you just declare your status again to renew. It sounds extremely good - there are a fair few Youtube videos showing it in use.

What I like (theoretically - not yet downloaded!) is that in incorporates a very comprehensive CAM package with configurable Post Processors for all sorts of machine controllers including Heidenhain conversational ones - my Mill has a TNC355 Heidenhain control.

Still waiting for the base unit for my new test PC to arrive (DELL Optiplex 7010 USFF PC, Intel Core i3 3220 3.30Ghz, 4GB Ram, 320Gb Hdd) bought off ebay for a good price, but the 256Gb SSD replacement HDD did arrive in this morning's post, and the 24" monitor came yesterday :)
Thanks given by:
Renewal Terms

.jpg   Terms.jpg (Size: 32.38 KB / Downloads: 77)
Thanks given by: EdK
I've watched a few of the videos and now I'm going to run through some of the included tutorials. I like that you can import DWG and DXF files into the sketch tool. I have lots of 2D files that I could make use of.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I'd like to fool with it, just refreshed myself on Librecad. I don't like the "cloud" though, can Fusion or Onshape store drawings locally?
Thanks given by: