New boy says hello
New to the forum and new to the world of metal working, so firstly hello to everyone and I'll get on and ask my first of many questions.
I have hardly any measuring equipment so I'm starting from scratch. Posted on my local CL is a Starrett combination square set. Never used and in a box and the bloke wants $150 for it. Is this a must have tool?
Thanks
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum.

I don't think so. But that's just me...
Mike

SB 10K (1976) Rockwell vertical mill (1967) Rockwell 17" drill press (1946) Me (1949)
Thanks given by:
Hi and welcome.

Its a set of tools that you will need and is an essential in layout work and building stuff for checking square etc but for $150 its expensive, its a good make for sure but you will do better on Ebay purchasing a "lot" at the same make and quality and bundled many more layout tools for that price...

Search on ebay " Machinist tools lot" or " Machinist layout" and bundles will come up... be patient you will find great deals on there as there is an abundance of this type of tooling on there.... do some research on metalwork layout tools on the net to see the most common used tools and there uses....

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Hi Old Minger and Welcome  to MetalworkingFun.

Feel free to ask questions many members here are more than willing to help.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
 a child of the 60's and 50's and a bit of the 40's Smile
Thanks given by:
Welcome  to the forum Old Minger.

I would look here for measurement tools. Real good prices on good tools.

http://stores.ebay.com/Taylor-Toolworks/...=212293561

Dr. Stan posted that link originally so I'll give him credit for finding it.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the world of Metalworking Fun!! Although I have had the need for a combination square a number of times, I still haven't gotten one and don't see it in the near future either. I do agree with Anthony, tho, a machinist's tools lot would probably be more beneficial.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Welcome aboard.

What are your interests? That will help identify the tooling that you need as a bare minimum versus those which would be nice to have. You will need different tools if you are planning on making model engines, to those needed to weld up yard art...

This thread might help. It is important to read the posts carefully to ascertain what was considered essential versus what would be nice. Tooling can get expensive go finding bargains on eBay and being patient will pay off in the end.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
As said it depends on the type of work your planning. I use mine daily, thinking back probably had it in my greasy has 6 or 7 times today. I use the protractor as an adjustable level, my horizontal saw doesn't sit quite flat, I adjust the level on the protractor to match the saw then level on parts to that before I cut them, then check for square with of coarse the square.
I have a cheap set and probably enough parts to make up 4 sets of Starret, have to say night and day difference, even the feel. For $150 with no shipping and Canadian dollars I'd go for it, you never regret buying quality.
What part of Canada, its a big place.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Welcome!

As a frequent eBay buyer of machinist measuring tools and cutting tools, I'm fairly good at finding bargains. That's not a deal at all.

If you look through eBay you can find MANY combination square sets for far less than that, many of them also new. Searching L.S. Starrett's website, I find the most common 12" rule set to be a list price of $146.00, and many authorized distributors will discount from that.

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/produc...1HC-12-16R
Thanks given by:
True Ken but we're talking the land of snow, ice, low dollars and Justin Trudeau, That same 3 pice set at KBC tools is $192 CDN, The 4 pice set ranges from $271 to $397, no idea what the differences are, they're all 12 inch rules. Then add shipping.
We don't come close up here to the deals you can get, wish we could.
Charlie had a 50% off coupon from GoPro, got him the new small one for $99 with the exchange and credit card pimp fees it was $141 CDN.
But hey we got Justin Trudeau, beet that one.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: