cheap digital caliper repair
Bought a 12" Horror Freight digital caliper a couple of years ago.  Got it out to use a few days ago and it would not work.  Replaced the battery to no avail.  When HF had 6" versions on sale for $10.00 a piece I picked up several to have on hand to spread around the shop for quick measurements.  A replacement 12" is $50 so I decided to try swapping out the electronic head from a 6".  To my surprise it works just fine.   Big Grin

Not bad for a $10 repair.
Thanks given by:
Just for giggles, check the piece of thin tin that contacts the side of the battery on the non-working head. Everything on mine looked fine but it acted like the circuitboard inside was broken. After replacing it with a dial and another digital caliper I got curious and gave it a better bend. I now have a spare!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(02-13-2016, 07:27 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: Bought a 12" Horror Freight digital caliper a couple of years ago.  Got it out to use a few days ago and it would not work.  Replaced the battery to no avail.  When HF had 6" versions on sale for $10.00 a piece I picked up several to have on hand to spread around the shop for quick measurements.  A replacement 12" is $50 so I decided to try swapping out the electronic head from a 6".  To my surprise it works just fine.   Big Grin

Not bad for a $10 repair.

Smiley-signs107
I love it when a plan comes together.

I bought a handful of the HF 6" calipers too - they were $9.00 at the time. I agree, for quick rough measurements they work fine. If you are going to scribe lines with a pair of calipers, there is no better choice IMO. Big Grin

They are also the only calipers I will "loan" out. Angel
Willie
Thanks given by:
Just remember, be it a Mititoyo, HF, Starret, ... They ALL sound the same when they hit the shop floor!

On the 7x group/list there's a guy that works at an ISO9000 shop and when the cal people show up he hands them his HF calipers. They replace the battery in each one and certify all of them. They may be crappy calipers, but they really ain't that bad.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
Thanks given by:
(02-14-2016, 01:27 AM)Vinny Wrote: Just remember, be it a Mititoyo, HF, Starret, ...  They ALL sound the same when they hit the shop floor!

So true Vinny... so true.

What does sound different though is the amount of crying afterwards. Bawling Bawling Bawling

Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Oh, so true Willie!
Thanks given by:
I buy the Canadian Tire ones when they go on sale at $10. The last one hung in for a couple of years. Last week the plastic over the scale began to peal and jam under the moveable jaw, it began reading erratically, so it went into the trash and a new one went into service, to tears. I used a dial bore gauge to measure to bearing mounts on the gear case Im building, they were spot on, for grins i tried the new calliper. It read spot on.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: