Parting Tool Failures
I've been reading, but hadn't had anything worth talking about, until now. I bought a GTHR16-3 parting tool, thats about 10 years old, I had an insert bust and didn't catch it until it screwed up the tool. So I ordered another tool, the inserts wouldn't stay in during use. The supplier sent a replacement, the same issue, they sent new inserts, it would not hold them either, they took one of the shelf put the insert in and it was obvious the tool was made wrong. The supplier sent a new replacement, it was the wrong hand, they overnighted the new correct tool, and it was the right tool and it holds the insert. The supplier ate all of the shipping cost and the gave me a huge discount on the tool, for my ordeal.

I did learn one lesson, never walk away from the lathe, in operation, if I saw the insert break, I could have avoided the whole debacle.
jack
Thanks given by:
Well, its over. The job I had to split 600, 1/4" x 6" stainless steel nipples, in half, press in a top and drill the 10 orifice holes is over with. Thats 1200 gas spuds, for a series of jobs in Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Virginia.

Because of a severe lack of judgement on my part, partially in an endeavor to save 25-30%, and bad judgement by the purchasing agents involved, my Walter G1011 parting tool and inserts has not arrived (as of yet), they saying delivery on or about 10/7/16. We shall see.

I was given a while back a Kyrocera parting tool (sourced from Grizzly, #T10236), with no inserts, after the first go around with the purchasing dept, I sent away to ISI Direct and bought some GMM2020 inserts, meant for stainless steel. They arrived and I started to use the Kyrocera. While it was light years ahead of what I had been using, the cuts were fast, clean and almost effortlessly, having a 2 mm kerf, the Walter should be a superior tool.

The heavy wall stainless steel nipples (sched 80), were cut in about 10-15 seconds at about 900 rpms, the cut was clean enough, not to need any facing or truing. So I pressed in the cap and drilled the orifice holes. The 600 cuts needed 3 insert ends, the GMM2020 is double ended, the first tip failed after about 50 cuts, due to operator error, the second end lasted about 450 cuts and the third end did the rest.

wipe the tip off, a dab of stainless steel cutting oil and bang it was done, then rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat..............

I'm looking forward to the Walter G1011, a bigger stouter tool and a heavier insert, with a 3 mm kerf, It will be good to have a decent parting tool, I can finally say goodbye to the GTN/GTR/GTL style inserts.
jack
Thanks given by:
I can't understand what's taking so long for the G1011 holder and inserts to show up. Walter ships direct to end users out of Hebron Kentucky on the day they get the order, via UPS Ground. It takes only 2 days to get to me.

Only if buying through an unauthorized seller shouldn't take longer than 3 days anywhere in the continental (48 state) US.
Thanks given by: