Modumetal?
Has anyone ever heard of Modumetal? Check this out:

http://www.forbes.com/kpmg/the-great-rew...8d109b3061
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(10-28-2016, 09:24 PM)Vinny Wrote: Has anyone ever heard of Modumetal?

That's quite interesting.  I'll bet the current price is astronomical so the customers will be nuclear plants, the military, aerospace, NASA, Virgin Space Industries, and the like.  From my Navy experience corrosion is a constant battle.  Down in the engineering spaces it is hot, humid and salt laden air.  Been in spaces where your exposure was limited to 15 minutes/hour due to the heat & humidity caused by steam leaks.  Many mechanical items were made from stainless or Monel, but that was far from a majority except on subs, the Enterprise and the Long Beach.  However steam pipes and valves were made of 4130 & 4140.  Drilled out a lot of rusted in studs in flanges & the like.

I can see this material making a huge difference.
Thanks given by:
What a crock of *****. It's NOT new, it's called electroforming, and my company has been doing it for 70 years. Hell, those chrome bumpers on the cars of the 1950's? ELECTROPLATED.

What is new is the hype that it somehow creates something better than before.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
I agree with rleete. The video is a marketing tool, but not for selling the product. It's for getting investors too stupid to do their own research to throw money into a passivating business.

Corrosion resistant metals that retain strength at high temperatures are in use every day for the past 100 years. Superalloys such as Monels, Inconels, and Nitronic have been used successfully for years in atmospheres far more corrosive than steam for applications in nuclear power, jet engines, petrochemical valves and more. At lower temps for steam turbine applications we have myriad austenitic and precipitation hardened stainless steel alloys.

Think about the publisher of the video. This is part of an investment prospectus for a business that may net startup capital for being "woman owned" and make her wealthy, then soon fail for having no economically viable product.
Thanks given by:
haaaaaaaaaaa that's some funny stuff you two .........
I agree

greg

drain the swamp
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
(10-29-2016, 08:42 AM)rleete Wrote: What a crock of *****.  It's NOT new, it's called electroforming, and my company has been doing it for 70 years.  Hell, those chrome bumpers on the cars of the 1950's?  ELECTROPLATED.

What is new is the hype that it somehow creates something better than before.

Yes it is quite similar to electroplating, but with a twist.  It's built up on a plastic mandrel which normally will not accept electroplate material.  The auto industry chrome plated on plastic, but only after they painted it with copper paint.
Thanks given by:
.... just needs a seeding dust of graphite powder to electroplate non-conductors, and it can be an unbelievably thin layer, as as soon as some electro-plated deposit is laid down the conductivity dramatically increases.
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
(10-30-2016, 01:44 PM)awemawson Wrote: .... just needs a seeding dust of graphite powder to electroplate non-conductors, and it can be an unbelievably thin layer, as as soon as some electro-plated deposit is laid down the conductivity dramatically increases.

Didn't know about that "trick", but graphite being carbon it is highly conductive.  Went to the Dalic Electroplating School in or near Pasadena while I was in the USN as we had a hand held electroplating shop attached to the machine shop.  Great for building up pump & motor shafts when the bearing surface was undersized no more than .050".  We'd then flash them with tin to reduce fretting.  Also resurfaced generator commutators with rhodium & gold in place WO removing the commutators or the main shaft.

We'd electroplate Filipino pesos (worth about 12 or 13 cents at the time) with gold resulting in very good service.   Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(10-30-2016, 03:27 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: Went to the Dalic Electroplating School

EEE-lec-tro-plate! EEE-lec-tro-plate! EEE-lec-tro-plate!
Thanks given by:
(10-31-2016, 06:10 PM)Roadracer_Al Wrote:
(10-30-2016, 03:27 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: Went to the Dalic Electroplating School

EEE-lec-tro-plate!  EEE-lec-tro-plate!  EEE-lec-tro-plate!

What ever.  I'm dyslectic and never could spell worth a damn.
Thanks given by: