Question on a 109 metal lathe.
Hi,all.. New to forum. Know about metal lathe a little. I just picked up  a craftsman 109 model lathe. How do I remove the 4-jaw chuck. Is it screwed on or a morse taper? If taper what size is it.  I have to pick up a few tooling for it so if anyone has any I`d be interested.  I had a Taig and sold it a few weeks back,course being a dummy,I let most of my tools go with it.

I`ve already have learned something just by signing on a few days back. Thanks to a poster on here. How to tell the size of a taper. When I get time,I`ll go up and tell a little introduction about me. Getting ready for winter.LOL

Have a great rest of the week,buster-- and thanks a bunch
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum Buster.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum Buster!!! I think you'll find the 4 jaw screws on with a 1/2"-20 thread.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(09-20-2017, 09:08 PM)Vinny Wrote: Welcome to the forum Buster!!!  I think you'll find the 4 jaw screws on with a 1/2"-20 thread.

{Comment deleted due to my ignorance of the machine in discussion.} Smiley-signs140

Welcome to the gang Buster!   Smiley-signs046
Willie
Thanks given by:
Good Morning,all..Thanks,fellas for the replies. I got a user manual coming but when I get it here,is a good guess.I have never seen a dirtier machine than this one. Whomever used this one sure didn`t believe in cleaning things up. Even used it for woodworking. I think I must have let my mike go,as I can`t find it. I got all things ready but the four jaw. I just didn`t want to break anything at the start on such a small tool.

Have a great day,hope things are well with everyone,buster/Everett
Thanks given by:
(09-21-2017, 05:26 AM)buster Wrote: . I got all things ready but the four jaw. I just didn`t want to break anything at the start on such a small tool.

Have a great day,hope things are well with everyone,buster/Everett

I'm sorry Everett (& Vinny). I thought Vin had made a typo there and I was attempting to razz him about it. I should have looked up the specs before putting my foot in my mouth (yet again). Those Craftsman lathes have survived this long, I doubt you are going to be able to break anything on it without serious effort. I have one of the import "mini-lathes" myself and have been impressed with what it can do despite my clumsiness.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome from me too !
Mike
Thanks given by:
Hi,fellas.. I may forget the 4 jaw for the present as I don`t take it off except for special cutting. I liked that Taig. It wasn`t self-feeding but i made a ton of pens&pencils with it. Also cut threads,made lawn mower bushings and so forth.
Is the 4 jaw right hand or left hand thread. I think it is right hand. I can`t see anyway to hold the shaft to unscrew it.
I may take the weekend off and play a little. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. My bits came today,and my son said he thought he had a motor for it.I got to check my steel stock and so forth.

Thanks,fellas..you have helped me a lot. Later,buster
Thanks given by:
Man, I haven't heard anyone signing off with, or saying "Later" since the 1970's.

Very refreshing to hear it again. Cool
Mike
Thanks given by:
(09-21-2017, 02:57 PM)buster Wrote: Hi,fellas.. I may forget the 4 jaw for the present as I don`t take it off except for special cutting. I liked that Taig. It wasn`t self-feeding but i made a ton of pens&pencils with it. Also cut threads,made lawn mower bushings and so forth.
Is the 4 jaw right hand or left hand thread. I think it is right hand. I can`t see anyway to hold the shaft to unscrew it.
I may take the weekend off and play a little. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. My bits came today,and my son said he thought he had a motor for it.I got to check my steel stock and so forth.

Thanks,fellas..you have helped me a lot. Later,buster

Hi,Mike e.. Sometimes I think I`m still back in those days. I always say I`m 50 years behind everybody.
I`m liken to say anything when I get in a hurry. Took today off and got my motor,gotta go buy me a variable pulley and wire it up and I`ll should be up and running. May just order it off the net and finish up next week. Closet store is about 50 mile away. I got my manual, if anyone wants a copy,I`ll print it out. It for the 109 craftsman lathe.

Have a great weekend,everyone.  Buster.. Thumbsup
Thanks given by: