A fix for bad fitting splines in Chinese mills
Hi,
Seeing you guys are mucking around with the 45 mills I thought I would post this up as a mod to do.

Anybody with a HM52 mill or other Chinese mill will know doing interrupted cuts and general milling gives a clunking sound from the bad fitting splines between the female spline and the quill spline. The noise comes from steel against steel from them being such loose fit.
This mod fixes that by dampening the sound as the nylon pushed against the splines stopping them rattling back and forward.

I had some black nylon, Acetal or delrin (whatever you want to call it)left over from the 4wd lift kit I made and thought I could put it to use in the mill.
I first thought about using aluminum but decided not to because it would be to hard and just transmit the sound as well.

This is the unit removed from the mill after being pressed out. The taper part holds the pulley. I also removed the bearing to be able to grip it in the 4 jaw. While I was there I replaced the bearings.

First up I bored out the top bearing/pulley unit as it was running out that much it would make the sleeve thin on one side.

Sorry this picture is out of sequence, but I forgot to take a picture, so I had to remove the nylon to take one after it was together.

Next I put the nylon in the lathe and machined it to be a press fit into the bore of the shaft. I left a collar on the top for no other reason than I thought I would. It doesn't show it in the pictures, but I also bored the nylon out to under size before parting it off. Nylon machines easy and comes off in ribbons which can get caught up if your not careful

The the hole lot back in the lathe to be bored to suit the quill spline. I just kept checking the fit after each cut until it was tight but could just be pushed in by hand with some force. Having it on the small (tight) size will be better than loose as it will wear in. The nylon will get a burr on the edge like in the picture, just use a sharp knife blade to cut it off.

After a year or 2 of use it has worked fine. some others have done it as well and have reported the same results I got.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Dave,
Smiley-signs107

That's a good idea, I have also heard that it helps with the surface finish as well. Reduces the vibration of the spindle. All in all it seems a really worth while mod to doThumbsup
If you take you mill to pieces or just renewing the spindle bearings this mod is worth consideringThumbsup

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Dave,

I'm going to have to look at mine now that I have it apart. I'll see if the design of the RF-45 type mills can use the same mod you did to your mill.

Ed
Thanks given by:
It looks like there's not enough material on the RF-45 type mills to bore out the top section for the delrin insert. Bummer.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Not good news, I thought it may have been able to be used on yours as well. It takes that terrible rattle out.

If you install the spline in there do you have any room beside it for a thin one?

Dave
Thanks given by:
(05-11-2012, 07:29 PM)Dave J Wrote: Not good news, I thought it may have been able to be used on yours as well. It takes that terrible rattle out.

If you install the spline in there do you have any room beside it for a thin one?

Dave

Dave,

Maybe .020" at most. Then I don't really have any rattling sounds when milling so I'm thinking your fix was for a different problem. The splines on my spindle have a fit that is a bit sloppy. If you rotate the spindle you can see there is a little bit of play in the mating of the male and female splines. See attached image.

Ed

Thanks given by:
I have the same problem after one hour use with CNC 2000rpm it starts rateling Confused
The bearings are getting warm then and go easier.
And the rateling starts Chin
I bought a new gear with spline and a new spindle
The problem is not solved BashBashBashBashBashBash
Thanks given by:
(07-13-2012, 12:20 PM)bert59 Wrote: I have the same problem after one hour use with CNC 2000rpm it starts rateling Confused
The bearings are getting warm then and go easier.
And the rateling starts Chin
I bought a new gear with spline and a new spindle
The problem is not solved BashBashBashBashBashBash

Bummer! All that work of replacing the parts and still the same problem. What brand and model do you have?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hello Ed
its a HBM BF30 or WMD30
Sold in the Netherlands by H.B.M.com
Weiss and a some other brand,s having the same machine with only a different name plate
Grtz
Bert
Thanks given by:
So is the rattling noise just an anoyance or is it signs of something wrong in the quill?

I ask because my first enco 45 mill was quiet but my new one rattles at the lower speeds. The rattle goes away when the tool is engaged but is there when there isn't a load on the spindle.

Just wonderingChin
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by: