Wet wheel grinder.
I gave up on trying to sharpen tools free hand. I just don't have the knack for it Smiley-gen151

I have tried flat stones, the "Lansky" type of hand knife sharpening kits, the paper (cardboard) sharpening wheels on my pedestal grinder, diamond hand laps and other DIY 'solutions' ad nauseum. I can't manage to get a straight, consistent, even bevel at an even angle on an edge to save my soul. I end up with multi-faceted washboard edges every time. Even my Drill-Doctor which worked great for about a year until the PLASTIC housing evidently started wearing/warping/shifting it's shape and won't hold a correct angle anymore.

My latest delivery and my last hope of saving the drawer full of pocket knives, kitchen knives, scissors, drill bits etc., etc., that I have butchered the bevels on due to my unsteady movements. If you will excuse me, I have to go plan a bank robbery now so that I can afford to buy extra wheels for it for grinding lathe bits and whatnot.  Smiley-signs131

Built like a tank and weighs just about as much too. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
You Suck

Ed
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2022, 02:20 PM)EdK Wrote: You Suck

Ed

At hand grinding, yes - I freely admit that. Rotfl

Boy howdy, those Swede's are sure proud of their stuff though.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Always wanted one, could never convince myself it was worth the money.  Post your findings once you get a few items done.

I did buy a used Sears sharpener from that auction site a few years back.  Works well, but you'd better have at least a partial edge, or it takes forever.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
I bought a Chinese clone a number of years back. Works well for sharpening hand plane blades and wood chisels. Im sure yours has a beter quality wheel. Mine cuts pretty slow and have had to dress the wheel once. Old age I can't remember how I did it. lol
The leather strap wheel is less than so so. I use a hard felt wheel on a grinder to hone. Remember the cutting compound they included had a horrible ammonia smell
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Oh yah, i started sharpening my wood chisels on the surface grinder with a sine plate set to the correct angle. AWSOME edge, a few swipes on a water stone to remove the burr and they're surgically sharpe
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2022, 05:36 PM)f350ca Wrote: I bought a Chinese clone a number of years back. Works well for sharpening hand plane blades and wood chisels. Im sure yours has a beter quality wheel. Mine cuts pretty slow and have had to dress the wheel once. Old age I can't remember how I did it. lol
The leather strap wheel is less than so so. I use a hard felt wheel on a grinder to hone. Remember the cutting compound they included had a horrible ammonia smell

What I am curious about is they say that the same (std) wheel can be adjusted from 220 grit to 1000 grit or anywhere in between. The machine came with a "stone grader" that looks like an extra course/fine grit precision bench stone. Smooth the exposed grains on the wheel for a finer grit - or rough the surface up again to go back to a courser grit. They claim you can do this repeatedly and it doesn't wear the wheel - 'very minimal'. It will be interesting to try that.  Chin

I haven't even taken anything out of the box yet but I'll be sure to get a good whiff of the tube of glue... er, um, honing paste to see what it is like.  Big Grin

(01-07-2022, 05:36 PM)f350ca Wrote: Oh yah, i started sharpening my wood chisels on the surface grinder

And to quote Ed --   You Suck
Willie
Thanks given by:
For the final edge on a knife I've always liked a buffing wheel. My 2nd choice is a steel. Dad was a meat cutter and taught me how to sharpen a knife and finish with a steel.
Thanks given by:
This Wen sharpener gets pretty good reviews. Certainly no Tormek but an alternative for a lot less money.

Ed
Thanks given by: