ER40 - How Thin?
What is the thinnist piece of metal an ER40 will hold so you can face it? It will be 25mm diameter, will it hold a 2mm thick disk with some sticking out to face it? The material will actually be brass. I don't have the collet or chuck yet so I can't check myself.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Couldn't you put a 25mm stub behind the disk to support it in the collet? Kind of as a stop for the disk.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind, just wasn't sure if there would still be enough for the ER to hold onto it.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
Thanks given by:
Don't bore out the whole ER to 25MM. Instead cut it like a counterbore with a bottom as the stop.
Thanks given by:

Willie
Thanks given by: EdK
(02-07-2023, 11:45 AM)Highpower Wrote:

I see I have a project in my very very near future!

Thanks!!!
Thanks given by:
Looks like a type of pot chuck. I've made them for my lathe when I need to hold something thin.

Ed
Thanks given by:
For just facing thin material I've had luck with facing off the end of a piece of bar stock in the chuck and super gluing the thin part to the end of it. Just take light cuts. A little heat or Acetone will remove the super glue afterward. Or use double stick (carpet) tape. If I needed to do a bunch of parts though, I would go with the collet fixture. Smiley-gen163
Willie
Thanks given by:
It'll hafta be the collet fixture, there will be over 100 of them.
Thanks given by:
and there will be pics of course
Thanks given by: