Making A Carriage Stop For My Lathe
Some of you may have seen this on another forum but for those that haven't I thought I'd post it hoping it might be useful for someone.

Sorry about some of the blurry pictures. My camera was crapping out and I have since gotten a new one so no more blurry pictures.

The pictures tell the story so I'll just post them. Any questions, don't be afraid to ask. Smile

Ed

Thanks given by:
Pictures continued.

Thanks given by:
Pictures continued.

Thanks given by:
And the final picture. Done and ready to use.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Ya know I don't think I've ever seen the finished product,

very nice Ed.

Thank you for sharing Big Grin

Jerry.Cool
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: EdK
Ed,

Nicely made and nicely shown:):):)

I think that is one of the nicest carriage stops I have seen:):):)

DaveH
(02-18-2012, 07:56 PM)ETC57 Wrote: Ya know I don't think I've ever seen the finished product,

very nice Ed.

Thank you for sharing Big Grin

Jerry.Cool

Same here. I never did see the end result. Thanks for posting that Ed. It is more detailed than I thought it would be. Nice finishing touches.

Gives the rest of us something to shoot for. Cool
Willie
Hi Ed Big Grin

Now thats a very well machined addition to your lathe ,, I like how you have went the extra mile to round off the corners of the body , touches like that really add to the look of the finished part .

If you dont mined i think i will follow your lead and make one for my CUB lathe Big Grin

Rob
Thanks given by:
(02-19-2012, 05:34 AM)RobWilson Wrote: Hi Ed Big Grin

Now thats a very well machined addition to your lathe ,, I like how you have went the extra mile to round off the corners of the body , touches like that really add to the look of the finished part .

If you don't mined i think i will follow your lead and make one for my CUB lathe Big Grin

Rob

Rob,

I'm flattered. Blush

One condition though. You have to post it as a project. Always a catch, isn't there. Rolleyes

Ed
Thanks given by:
That certainly is one of the prettiest I've ever seen too. I don't know of any factory stops with that kind of attention to detail and finish.

About the only thing I might have done differently in design would be that I would make the thread a 40 pitch and leave a straight, clean ring of the major diameter of the adjusting nut to allow inscribing .001" graduations. That would make it a micrometer carriage stop.

What pitch thread does it have now? Looks like it might be about a 20TPI. If that's the case the adjusting nut seems big enough that you could turn a short (1/8"?) wide diameter just below the depth of the grooves, make a press-fit aluminum ring and inscribe 50 graduations around it.

Just a thought.
Thanks given by: