A Couple of Nice Tools
Here are a couple of nice tools worth considering.

Speed Hammer
Smart Stop

http://www.piersonworkholding.com/

I especially like the Speed Hammer after viewing Tom's video on dialing in the vise jaws on a mill.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I like the Smart Stop. It seems I'm always fiddling with the threaded stop I use now. It would be much easier to just loosen a couple of set screws to set the stop. It also looks like a great project idea.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I like the speed hammer idea - cool.

But that reminds me of a question I have been meaning to ask for some time now....

I have one of these double "quickie handle's" for my 6" vice and I love it.

[Image: 5826.gif]

My problem has been finding somebody that makes one for a 4" vice.
I would love to have one for my smaller vice (9/16" hex) as well, but I only ever see them in the larger 3/4" hex size. Rant

I don't suppose anyone knows if such a thing exists? And no....... I can't afford to purchase a $$$ hex broach to make one. Sadno
Willie
Thanks given by:
I was thinking the Vacuum chuck looks an interesting project Big Grin

Rob
Thanks given by:
(06-20-2012, 11:18 AM)Highpower Wrote: I like the speed hammer idea - cool.

But that reminds me of a question I have been meaning to ask for some time now....

I have one of these double "quickie handle's" for my 6" vice and I love it.

[Image: 5826.gif]

My problem has been finding somebody that makes one for a 4" vice.
I would love to have one for my smaller vice (9/16" hex) as well, but I only ever see them in the larger 3/4" hex size. Rant

I don't suppose anyone knows if such a thing exists? And no....... I can't afford to purchase a $$$ hex broach to make one. Sadno

I made one long ago using two deep well 6 point sockets welded to a piece of flat bar at each end on opposite sides. It works but it ain't nothing fancy like those in the pictures! The un-used socket is the handle, but now that I see these fancy ones, I may need to hit a pawn shop and buy some more sockets to weld in the middle making it more "speed" wrench capable.
Thanks given by:
(06-20-2012, 11:29 AM)November X-ray Wrote: I made one long ago using two deep well 6 point sockets welded to a piece of flat bar at each end on opposite sides. It works but it ain't nothing fancy like those in the pictures! The un-used socket is the handle, but now that I see these fancy ones, I may need to hit a pawn shop and buy some more sockets to weld in the middle making it more "speed" wrench capable.

You sir, are my savior! Worthy

You just gave me an idea. I could just pick up another one of those handles ($20 at Enco), bore out the 3/4" hex's and slip in a couple of 9/16" sockets.
Now why didn't I think of that??? Bash

THANKS!

Willie
Willie
Thanks given by:
The handles in the pictures are aluminum, not sure what the ones are made of from Enco, but how would you fasten them to transfer the torque,,,,roll pins perhaps?
Thanks given by:
JB Weld. It will hold quite well.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
I justused an interference press fit.

No JB weld needed, with enough of a press even the aluminum will hold the socket tighter than one could apply enough torque to move it. (Unless one applied a cheater bar long enough, but then you'd be in danger of tipping over the millRotfl)
Oh, btw, I did turn the OD of the socket to a non-tapered OD.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
The use of a hex socket 67996799
John
Thanks given by: