Carbide Inserts in the Home Workshop
What do you use?
HSS, Brazed Carbide, Carbide Insert.

If you have a question, or an opinion lets hear it.

This is a discussion with widely differing opinions - please keep it Fun and friendly.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Hi
I use them all
Mainly carbide if i cant get a decent finish i will use HSS
Most of my tips came in a plastic packet i have no idea what they are.
I did buy this set of tools and i am very happy with them
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLANZE-SCLCR-I...56460da978
The tips can be used all 4 ways
John
Thanks given by:
I also use all of the above Dave

Plus ,, carbon tool steel , stellite and occasional borazon

RobWilsonPopcorn
Thanks given by:
I forgot to mention i also use emery tapeJawdropJawdrop
John
Thanks given by:
By priority, I use:

1. Carbide inserts (both in milling and turning)
2. HSS (mainly in milling, occasionally in turning)
3. Brazed carbide (turning only, but rarely)
Thanks given by:
For lathe work I use carbide inserts 99% of the time, including boring.

The mill mostly HSS I have some carbide mills under 6mm dia I use on the Sherline mill.

I also use a carbide insert (home made) fly cutter on the mill.

Brazed carbide very rarely used now.

I would also like to point out I use the same carbide insert for, Aluminium, Brass, steel and stainless steel.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
If I have the time I like to use HSS. I've haven't used it a lot and I need the practice. If I'm pressed for time I grab the insert and have at it.
Thanks given by:
(06-21-2012, 02:50 PM)DaveH Wrote: What do you use?
HSS, Brazed Carbide, Carbide Insert.

DaveH

My answer is yes. Big Grin

I'm not very scientific about it I'm afraid. I grab a tool and start using it. If it works - great. If things don't go well, I'll keep switching tools until I find one that does work. It always seems that what works this week doesn't work the following week and I have to switch flavors.

I like using carbide inserts when I can (because I'm lazy), but there are times when HSS puts on a much better finish depending on the material. Now days I use the brazed carbide for the nasty rough stuff because I don't want to damage those pertty pricy inserts. Blush
Willie
Thanks given by:
well i have a mix but i prefer HSS I don't have any tools with removable tips i have made my own up by silver soldering the tips on to steel blanks then grinding them up i will post sum pics of sum home made cutting tools
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
For end mills, I have mostly HSS plus an assortment of carbide from 1/4" down to, believe it or not, .005" diameter. I like carbide end mills for smaller holes and slots because it's so much more rigid than HSS.

For lathe tools I use HSS almost exclusively. It's inexpensive, easy to grind to whatever shape I need and it produces a much better surface finish than carbide inserts. I do have a set of carbide insert holders that I use for roughing or for hard materials, but all the finish work is done with HSS.

Most of my squaring up of stock is done with a fly cutter and HSS tool bits. I do have a shell mill with replaceable inserts but rarely have a need for it.

My boring bars are all HSS for the best surface finish possible.

I do have a fair number of brazed carbide lathe tools, but I don't have a spare grinder set up with a green wheel to sharpen them. I should do something about that because they do a good job on the lathe.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: