mineral oil for drilling and tapping
I've been on this kick of using up stuff ive had around forever. The latest victim is a bottle of mineral oil i purchased to stain soapstone. This is the stuff you buy at the pharmacy.

The only real use i could come up with was as stated drilling and tapping. i only tried it for a for a .156 bit and 10-24 tap about a 3/4" deep hole. i compared napas house brand, castrol moly d and re-li-on.

as far as drilling went the only differences i noticed was that the mineral oil was about 1/4 the cost of the others and no chlorine smell.

tapping was different. breaking the chips was a little spooky with mineral oil and 4 flute tap but then again that i think is a little due to the design but it was very different than with the specific oils. with two and three flute taps i didnt notice much difference.
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
Any oil is better than no oil, I have used WD 40 before and it seems to work too.
Paul
pjf134, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Cut that mineral oil wit about 40% turpentine and you will be amazedat how well it works. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
works at what tom? tapping? i thought i had me a bit or turpentine around here somewhere but i have yet to locate it. dang, i can't imagine it smelling much good either though.
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by: