Holding Tools in MT2 spindle without drawbar
Hi guys,

I do not have a drill chuck with drawbar threads (M10) on the MT2 shank and so twist one in like what I usually do on the lathe for drilling holes in the mill. This seems to work fine and I don't have the chuck fall off the spindle.

This got me to think if its possible to do the same for flycutting. I've a flycutter with MT1 shank from my Sherline. If I can get a MT2 to MT1 sleeve to mount the flycutter in the Wabeco, will it be safe to use it in the mill without the drawbar? The sleeve has no drawbar threads (the end is with a tang) and the MT1 shank of the fly cutter is rather short.

Not that I'm going to do it as I can still use my Sherline for the job (though I've to start cleaning off the stuff on the bench to have enough space for it to be used) but am wondering if the tool can be held tight enough in the MT bore.

Regards,
Wong
Wongster
http://www.wongstersproduction.com

Proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2012.
Thanks given by:
Just my opinion, which is far from an expert one, but i'd be concerned using a fly cutter like that without a draw bar.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
I would make a new on with a straight shank for use in your new mill using a collet to hold it with.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
You can probably get away with that when using a drill chuck but I wouldn't try it when milling. Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys. You confirmed my concern.

I made a flycutter a while ago for 1/4" square tool. It was a painful slow process then as I've to take very shallow passes to get to the depth required. I've yet to try milling steel on the new mill. I think I should. I was given 3 MT2 collets by a friend (4mm, 5mm, and 10mm). With the guard removed for the time being, I can able to reach the workpiece without the guard being in the way. I'll definitely re-install the guard when I receive the collet chuck.

Regards,
Wong.
Wongster

Thanks given by:
Wong,
I don't even use the drill chuck without a draw bar, I certainly would not use a fly cutter without a draw bar.
Just one little hiccup and the internal taper can be damaged, personally I don't think it is worth the risk. Happyno
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Roger that, Dave. Except for sizing up the mounting plate and "flycutting" with the
10mm endmill in the MT2 collet, I'll cease all operation on this mill. Maybe I'll clean up some space for the Sherline to do the drilling and other work.

Regards,
Wong
Wongster

Thanks given by: