Best edge finder?
I know that "best" is probably relative so the real question would be, "Which type and brand of edge finder do you prefer and why?".

I am tool shopping for my "new" mill now that I have it powered up and operational. Big Grin

Thanks guys,

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Hi
Ron
This is certainly the cheapest
http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=327
John
Thanks given by:
http://www.fishermachine.com/

Because they are great products at reasonable prices made by a family business in the USA. They also make the Pee Dee thread measuring wires.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I've been known to use a 0.5000 dowel pin and some Dykem.
Thanks given by:
well this is a old one get a 6mm dawl pin put that in to your chuck or in to a Colet set the mill a way macrk the dawel with a large felt tip pen bring the dawel to the edge and touch on once you start to see the pen bin rubs off stop -3 then you is on the edge
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
I have used a 1/2" dowel as Tony suggested, but this one won't mark the part.

Tom

[Image: 31xlmxTDofL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I have a couple of 827A's that see regular use (probably my favorites), and a full 0.5000 single end version, as well as a 0.5000 body diameter with a 0.2000 contact cylinder on one end and a point on the other. They all have their places. I don't remember the model numbers, but some are Starrett and one s a Fowler, if memory serves.

The Dykem EF is a Poor Boy's edge finder. If you're careful, and you're supposed to be when edge finding, it won't mark the part beyond a little dye transfer. Plus you can get a 6" long drill rod and reach some awkward places where standard edge finders are difficult or impossible to use.

I've never tried the electronic models with LED's. Seems like a good idea, but I'd have to test it extensively to be satisfied with it, I think.
Thanks given by:
I've had the no name edge finders but bought a Starrett and the repeatability is night and day difference. Looks like the one Tom posted above. There wasn't much of a cost difference either. Tried an electronic one, was good but when the battery died I went back to the mechanical one.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Thanks a lot guys. That will get me going in the right direction. Thanks for reminding me on the PeeDee thread wires Ed. I was meaning to get a set of those as well but it got buried on my list.

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
I use the Starrett shown above for curved edges. On straight edges I have a Moore Edge Finder that I picked up a few years back.

"Billy G" Big Grin
Thanks given by: