new magnet old base
I received the magnet yesterday that I had ordered to see if I could replace the magnet in a base that I had which had lost most of its magnetism.

believe me you gotta keep ahold of the thing, any way I got started on making a holder for it out of some aluminum last night which I turned down to fit in the bore of the base and bored it out so the magnet would slide inside it.

This morning I scrounged up a hunk of tubing that was 1" ID and turned it down so it would fit in the base, now its off to the mill to cut a slot in the aluminum and cut two strips out of the steel tube then I will hopefully be able to get it all stuck together and see if it will work.

Will put up some pictures this evening hopefully.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
DA,
I would like to see that Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(07-20-2012, 08:28 AM)DaveH Wrote: DA,
I would like to see that Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

heres a couple photos with captions

Thanks given by:
New photo, new magnet holder.

the other one didn't work out I think it was because of there only being and 1/8 inch separating the two ferrous halves of the base. But thats only a guess on my part. the holder worked and the base would pick up a six inch lathe chuck if you were carefull in picking it up.

the new magnet holder that I made tonight fits into a different base which has a half inch of what looks like aluminum between the two Ferrous sides.

I used cast iron for the two dark gray spots that you see in the holder, these were made from an old casting project that flopped. I turned it to one inch in diameter and then used loctite to glue it into the holder, once the glue dried I turned the ends down so that they were even with the outside of the holder. I then turned the part around and drilled a hole thru the middle of the Cast Iron and used a 1 inch endmill cutter to clean out the hole.

I now have to heat the thing up so I can get the buttons out so that I can put the magnet in the holder so that the poles are lined up in the center of the Cast Iron buttons.

the magnet tries to line up with the poles in between the buttons if I just let it pull its self in.

One thing is for sure this base has a lot more holding power then any of the other ones that I have.

Thanks given by:
DA,

Coming along nicely, just mind your fingers Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I have it all together now, first off I would like to say that this is a nice addition to my collection of tools and I now have a base that will stick without coming loose when someone looks at it.

I think that the next one I do I will make a new block as one guy did on Alloy Avenue a Casting Forum that I belong to. This link pretty much lays out what I did except that I used a base that I already had and I only used one magnet instead of two because my base is quite a bit smaller then his.

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread...netic-Base

In putting the magnet (for a better word) carrier together I had to knock the two cast iron pieces out of the carrier, as they say hind sight is 20/20 I should of heated it to melt the loctite, I didn't I was finally able to get them out. I then installed the magnet after remarking the poles so I could line them up under the two windows for the Cast Iron parts. This was the easy part, drop in the magnet put a brass screw in it to hold it in place with a little loctite no problems.

Putting them two Iron bits back in lots of problems, number one when the magnet graps the part you can hardly move it. What I finally did after a couple of hours of trying to put them in, I finally decided to drill and tap a hole in them which I screwed bit of 1/4 inch rod that had the end thread for about an inch. This allowed me to screw the iron part up on the rod them I would put the end of the rod against the magnet and was able to hold it so that I could then screw it down into the hole. Once it was started into the hole I could remove the rod then tap the iron parts down into the hole. The holes I will probably fill them with some 5 minute epoxy I see no reason to have to take it apart.

There is enough magnetic attraction between the base and the magnet that the spool/carrier/switch won't fall out so I don't know if I will put a detent in it or not.

link to the magnet that I used

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.as...=RX04X0DIA

sorry about the quality of the finish, I have had this camera for several year and still have yet to find the smooth and shiny settingSmiley-signs131

Thanks given by:
Nice project, amazing what such a tiny magnet can do too!
Ken
An old tired/retired/wanna-be machinist. Cool
Thanks given by:
hi a job well dun
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
DA,

Very well done and shown - great post Thumbsup Smiley-signs107 Worthy

Now what is that red stuff Chin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(07-22-2012, 04:04 PM)DaveH Wrote: DA,

Very well done and shown - great post Thumbsup Smiley-signs107 Worthy

Now what is that red stuff Chin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Loctite, thread locker. I almost didn't get the two cast iron parts out of the aluminum holder after I turned the outside and cut the center out of it so they would fit against the side of the magnet. I don't know that they have to be cast iron I just figured that with having to cut the center out and most of it being an interrupted cut that cast iron would be the lesser of several evils.

I have another base that I plan on doing hopefully I will do a better job of documenting it. I would like to make from scratch also plus a some arms for it.
It really chaps me when I go to stick an indicator on something an the base won't hold. Now that I know what to do and how to put them iron slugs back into the holder shouldn't take more then a couple hours to redo the other cheap chinese base that I have.

Thanks all for the compliments.

DAllen

now back to that mini mill thats all over the bench

Thanks given by: