When you know you messed up.
Last week I was working in the shop. Almost finished with one of my quick change holders and got careless. Some times we get into a zone that we over look what might happen. Well it took a split second and I was holding my right hand with my pointer finger with a serious gash in it. The doctor did surgery on it Friday and told me how lucky I was to have a finger. After all that he said 12 weeks of therapy twice a week. I guess that means no shop time for me. Careful, careful all the time. I was very blessed not to loose any more. I'll be doing everything with a little bit more thought.
Nelson Collar 17428Chin

May the Lord Direct Your Steps
"When injustice becomes law - resistance becomes duty."
Thanks given by:
Hi Nelson,

Good to hear they were able to save the finger. Those are the types of lessons one doesn't forget very quickly.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I have a good friend that recently lost a portion of his thumb because he was in a hurry and cutting an oak plank. It kicked back and into the blade his hand went. Glad you are ok but DEFINITELY have to not be in a hurry and always be careful!!

Glad to hear you're going to be alright!
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
Hi Nelson,

Pleased you are ok
A friend of mine pulled his index finger off on my mill
He was wearing a glove just drilling a hole
Accidents happen very fast
I have some pictures of it, i look now and again at them it reminds me to be carefull
John
Thanks given by:
Hi Nelson,
Glad to hear you are okay and I'm sorry it happened.
Wish you a full and speedy recovery Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

PS I don't suppose you took a couple of photo's - just asking Smiley-dancenana
Thanks given by:
I too wish you well Nelson.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Thank God everything is ok. Speedy recovery.

Regards,
Wong
Wongster
http://www.wongstersproduction.com

Proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2012.
Thanks given by:
Hello has all, me this years 7 stitches in the left(awkward) little finger, further to the drilling of pieces shavings has set in my glove and has me to attract the hand directly in the meche of the machine, the conclusion caution caution, because it is fast to arrive
Thanks given by:
nel2lar glad to hear you will be able to retain your finger and the use of it, worst I did was split yhe end of the same finger as you on a table saw, right into the bone, no DR and it works fine despite also being broken when undoing a boomer or bearclaw on a load the boomer twisted as it snapped open and folded sane finger backwards almost flat with the back of my hand, pulloed it straight immediately in my glove and finished my afternoon of work. Doctor said he could not have set it better, it still works but have to be a little careful as it does not straighten out completely. When I was about 10 working round my fathers grain elevator I saw one of the farmers jump off the side of his truck, his wedding ring caught one of the bolts on the wooden truck box, he left his ring finger hanging about 3 ft higher than he could reach. I vowed to be careful and never wear rings or jewellery anytime let alone while at work. As you know poop happens just be as careful as you can. Best wishes for speedy recovery. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Fingers - whose idea was it to stick 'em out there where they can get damaged? Glad to hear yours is on the road to recovery, Nelson.

I knew things wouldn't go well when I was on my honeymoon and slipped off the boat ladder (swimming in some caves on a Greek island) and caught my wedding ring on a bolt... Finger wasn't too bad (cheap, soft thin-wall ring!) but *I Should Have Made The Connection* then instead of 20 yrs later...

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by: