Domed plastic lenses (how to)
Making a new lens for any guage,

Quite often Dial guages, Dial test indicators or even pressure guages and some auto guages have domed lenses that either get scratched or broken needing replacement sure on some you can fit a flat lens but on others the dome is required to clear the needle which may protrude past the rim, when this is the case or when you just like the look;

1, Get three square pieces of any metal plate around 6mm or 1/4" thick and each big enough to leave 12mm or 1/2" all round the lens, so a three inch square plate for a 2 inch diameter lens
2, stack the three plates up and drill a 6mm or 1/4" hole in each of the corners,
3, set two of the plates up in a four jaw chuck and bore a hole through the face the same diameter as the inside diameter of the bezel ring,
4, take the third plate and drill a hole through it to hook it up to a vacuum/pressure source, in something this small your vacuum/pressure source could just be a large plastic syringe,
5, cut a disc out of 1-2mm perspex, acrylic, plexiglass or whatever else you call this kind of plastic sheet don't use lexan as it is fiddly on temeratures and water content when heat forming.
6, clamp all the pieces together, add a little sealant between the middle plate and the plate with the vacuum source hole, just enough to seal you don't want it or any fumes from it to get in contact with the acrylic sheet, let the sealant dry before starting the forming process, alternately cut a gasket out of cereal packet card or heavy paper.
7, pop the whole thing into a saucepan full of cold water and bring to the boil, hold it at boiling for a few minutes, then pull it out,
8, wearing gloves and making sure not to touch the plastic at any time push the syringe into the vacuum hole and suck some air out of the chamber behind the plastic, just enough to start doming the plastic, alternately you can add pressure with the syringe, it just means it'll bubble out not in,
9, when you have the dome where you want it hold the pressure constant and plunge it into cold water and hold it there for three to five minutes, less for thinner plastics, more for thicker plastics.

And there you have it new domed lens' for any guage costing pennies + a little work.

I hope this is of value to someone out there,
Best Regards
Rick

.docx   lens forming tool 2.docx (Size: 612.94 KB / Downloads: 36)

EDIT: added PDF version of the file for those that do not have Microsoft Word.

Attached Files
.pdf   lens forming tool 2.pdf (Size: 413.2 KB / Downloads: 33)
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by: Mayhem , DaveH
Thanks Rick - what order do the plates and the plastic get put together in? A drawing would be nice, pictures even better and a short video may even get you an award (do we have awards Ed?).
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
It's only been twenty minutes Darren,

I'm drawing it right now, but you know what I'm like Sleep it might take a day or so to get around to finishing it,

Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Whip
Thanks given by:
Please Sir, accept my apologies, the required sketch is now in place oddly enough in a word document format (long story).
Regards
Rick
Thanks given by:
Thanks Rick - and here I was expecting it to be in crayon Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Preliminary drawings were in chalk, they progressed through crayon, pencil, ink then on to electrons over a five year development period,

I don't just make this stuff up you knowSmile

Rick
Thanks given by:
Neat trick! Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
(09-03-2012, 07:03 AM)Rickabilly Wrote: Preliminary drawings were in chalk, they progressed through crayon, pencil, ink then on to electrons over a five year development period,

I don't just make this stuff up you knowSmile

Rick

I'm impressed Rick, I seldom get past the crayons. Big Grin

Thanks for the file. I'll be dusting off my old vacuum pump in no time.

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
If you don't have MS Word you can download Libre Office. It's a full suite of programs like MS Office except it's free because it was designed for Linux based OS. I have never had a problem running them on MS Windoze though. Thumbsup
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by: