Rotary project, maybe????
My last project (New dial for my mini lathe) made me realize that it would be nice to have a rotary table. Purchasing one is out of the question so I started looking through my treasures (junk to anybody else) and came up with a 6” precision cast iron table and base, where this came from I honestly don’t remember, but there it is in pristine condition. I also found a 40 to 1 worm gear.
I think I would mount this on a base similar to DeanW’s rotary (picture Rotab4).
I have been working out (on Cad) how I would graduate the dial for 40=1 screw and came out with the drawing attached. This dial (I think) will give me degrees and minutes using the vernier along with the small lines on the dial.
My mini lathe will only swing 5” dia. So my approach needs to be well thought out before action. I am not committed to the project yet but I am looking for input suggestions and advice.
Claude

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf   Rotary Dial layout.pdf (Size: 7.67 KB / Downloads: 26)
claudef, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Mar 2012.
Thanks given by:
What else is in your junk box Chin

I think it is a worthwhile project and given the price of buying one here, it is something I will look into down the track. When I get to that point I plan on using a stepper motor to control it.

There are plenty of really good threads out there on these. Mad Modder is one place I would recommend visiting. Google will be your friend here.

Whatever you decide to do, please remember to keep the pictures and progress reports rolling in.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Claude,

You've got the main parts already so a good start to a nice project.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Claude,
It will be a very rewarding project Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
This is really awesome! Now to figure out how to CNC it just in case it wasn't confusing enough Rotfl Looks great Claude!!
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
Well today I decided to mount the disks on a 5/8" arbor and grind the OD till I got rid of the partial graduations. I must have removed .020 on Dia. before cleanup.
I then transferred the complete set-up to the mill and started scribing the graduations, 360 lines, what a boring job... 2 1/2 hours.
The next step is the Stamping of the numbers, now that could be a challenge. After that is back to the grinder for a kiss grind of the OD.

Thanks given by:
That looks outstanding! Thumbsup Thanks for taking the pictures to share with us!
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
You are doing an outstanding job scribing the graduations. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Claude,

Fantastic job Worthy Looks terrific Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Got the numbering done today... Now I am contemplating what the next move should be. I don't have material for the base so I need to concentrate on the cast iron pieces. The base that the rotating part fit's on has a slot on the bottom and I am wondering if I should mill it away and grind it flat.
Claude

Thanks given by: