do all files cut away from the user?
i always took it to be the case but i have some that cut towards the user. i dont mind confusion as i normally am.
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
The only files I know that cut on the pull stroke are those used in a die filer. That keeps the work from lifting off the table.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Hi
Lads
I was at my mates place yesterday
He has a die filer
The files cut going forward (downwards ) on his die filer
He just grinds standard files to fit the holders
John
Thanks given by:
cheers!
learning a new thing each day....... of course i forget 3 things each day so im swimming against the riptide.........go figure.

i never heard of such a machine before.
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2012, 07:00 PM)mikecwik Wrote: cheers!
learning a new thing each day....... of course i forget 3 things each day so im swimming against the riptide.........go figure.

i never heard of such a machine before.

Simple but effective:

[Image: MLA18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thats the one I built from a casting kit. Neat little tool.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2012, 10:00 PM)f350ca Wrote: Thats the one I built from a casting kit. Neat little tool.

Greg,

You mean Metal Lathe Accesories? How were those casting kits? I've been tempted to try one out.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Great quality, no voids or inclusions. And the guy is terrific to deal with, prefers you phone or did back then, remember chatting with him for an hour or more.
Was actually thinking about ordering the boring/facing head kit from him. Not to steal this thread but how do the facing heads index out?
Greg
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2012, 10:12 PM)f350ca Wrote: Great quality, no voids or inclusions. And the guy is terrific to deal with, prefers you phone or did back then, remember chatting with him for an hour or more.
Was actually thinking about ordering the boring/facing head kit from him. Not to steal this thread but how do the facing heads index out?

The boring and facing heads I've used had a knurled ring that you held to run the head out. They must have had some sort of planetary gearing in them.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Tom
The boring head kit on Metal Lathe's site doesn't have that ring wonder how it works.
Thanks
Greg
Greg
Thanks given by: