Request for service - lathe related.
Hi all,
(if this post not appropriate or in wrong location, OK for moderators to take action)
As you can see in my previous post, I have a 1440 lathe that I still try to improve. Last, I have drilled and tapped the tailstock base in order to attach wipers since dirt is finding its way under...Also have ordered new wipers for the apron since the original ones were crushed and bended by the screws from factory. Since the wipers do not rest 100% flat on the base (as seen in the picture) the only solution is to make (have made) sets of reinforcement plates to put them on both sides in such to have the wipers rest on. I do not have a mill or access to a mill and thus I am asking if anybody would take on the challenge to make them for which I will pay. Would like to have them made from 1/16" SS please. Seeing what our members are capable of making from metal, this could be an easy project. If interested please IM me or post here. Thank you. Attached some pictures to illustrate better the plated.

[attachment=2969]
[attachment=2970]
[attachment=2971]
[attachment=2972]
[attachment=2973]
[attachment=2974]
[attachment=2975]
Kaoma, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
Kaoma,

It will be fine, lets hope someone can help you.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Kaoma, maybe if I were to quote a price approaching that of a mill, you would consider the economics could justify an addition to your shop.CoolRotfl
Sorry, couldn't resist.Blush
The last pic sure does show the flimsy appearance of the
"reinforcement plates".
Maybe you could fashion plates of thicker material by (shudder) hand? A little work with a hacksaw and file should do it.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Danny,

I'm wondering why the stainless steel? I'd make them for you but I've never worked with stainless steel before.

Since we have the same lathe, I thought I'd make this comment about the wipers on our lathes. I hate them. They are made out of some sort of semi-hard plastic so not only do they wipe the swarf away but all of the oil with it leaving it too dry of oil for my liking. Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
In the picture showing the white plates, those I made from a cigarrette pack cardboard to illustrate what is needed. I would like SS since most of the extra attachments are from SS and also is a lot stronger than aluminum. Any other metal would be OK as well. I can not get a mill, not enough room left and the HOA would consided that a "SHOP" in a residential area.
Thanks given by:
Just be careful with strengthening wipers. If too stiff, they can be counterproductive by lifting the apron or tailstock. At the very least, the increased pressure can make it harder to move the apron or tailstock.

Older machines used heavy-duty felt for wipers, rather than hard rubber. This was a double-edged sword because the felt could absorb metal and/or abrasive fines, effectively insreasing wear. On the other hand, the felt is excellent for retaining way lube. I can't really understand how you tailstock could get anything under it as long as the mating surfaces are both flat.
Thanks given by:
(09-16-2012, 11:07 AM)PixMan Wrote: Just be careful with strengthening wipers. If too stiff, they can be counterproductive by lifting the apron or tailstock. At the very least, the increased pressure can make it harder to move the apron or tailstock.

Older machines used heavy-duty felt for wipers, rather than hard rubber. This was a double-edged sword because the felt could absorb metal and/or abrasive fines, effectively insreasing wear. On the other hand, the felt is excellent for retaining way lube. I can't really understand how you tailstock could get anything under it as long as the mating surfaces are both flat.

Look at picture 2, the apron does not cover the back flat guide 100% and is the same in the front...that is how it came. only want to support the flat wipers that stick out past the apron. Will use on all as well.
Thanks given by:
When I put wipers on the colchester (it never had them) I found some soft rubber and made the backing plates out of about 1/8 aluminum. Not pretty but effective. I agree on the felt not being ideal, i'd sooner wipe the oil away than drag imbedded cuttings back and forth.
[Image: IMGP1385.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
OK, I'll nix the idea of making felt wipers. I guess no oil with no swarf is better than oil with swarf.

Greg, don't your rubber wipers wipe most of the oil off of the ways? I know mine do.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-16-2012, 10:48 AM)Kaoma Wrote: In the picture showing the white plates, those I made from a cigarrette pack cardboard to illustrate what is needed. I would like SS since most of the extra attachments are from SS and also is a lot stronger than aluminum. Any other metal would be OK as well. I can not get a mill, not enough room left and the HOA would consided that a "SHOP" in a residential area.

Danny,

As long as you're open to having them made from steel rather than stainless steel, I'll make them for you, and a set for myself.

I checked out the wipers and they are not even rubber. They appear to be some sort of semi-hard plastic. I'm going to get some rubber to replace the plastic ones with.

Ed
Thanks given by: