Making A QCTP Indicator Holder
My next project, after I finish the lathe spider, will be an over-engineered DTI holder that will fit on the QCTP.

Ed

Updated drawing and added PDF and DWG files.

Attached Files
.pdf   indicator holder 05.pdf (Size: 18.49 KB / Downloads: 16)
.dwg   indicator holder 052.dwg (Size: 74.82 KB / Downloads: 9)
Thanks given by:
I did mine flying by the seat of my pants nice drawing Ed.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: EdK
Isn't CAD great, draw the measuring dowels in place and pick off the needed dimension between them. Tried doing that mathematically a while ago and screwed it up royally.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(09-24-2012, 07:24 PM)f350ca Wrote: Isn't CAD great, draw the measuring dowels in place and pick off the needed dimension between them. Tried doing that mathematically a while ago and screwed it up royally.

Yup, CAD makes it so much easier and quicker. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
Would it make more sense to turn a post on the business end of the block first? By chucking the bare block in a 4-jaw and turning the post on a lathe before starting the milling operation, you could really shorted the whole thing. This matters as it would reduce how far you have to crank the cross slide back when you need to use the holder.
Thanks given by:
(09-25-2012, 06:53 AM)PixMan Wrote: Would it make more sense to turn a post on the business end of the block first? By chucking the bare block in a 4-jaw and turning the post on a lathe before starting the milling operation, you could really shorted the whole thing. This matters as it would reduce how far you have to crank the cross slide back when you need to use the holder.

Ken,

That's certainly an option. I think I'm going to need some vertical adjustment though to get the DTI needle up far enough to be on center. I could eliminate the horizontal arm and just put the vertical arm right into the block. That would shorten it up quite a bit also. Hmmm Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed, I saved your drawing and printed it out, it printed blurry, just like the view of it did when I elarged it with Windows photo viewer.
It's 500 x 329 pixels , greater than the pic I posted about (Let's see your mill post #137) that enlarged manyfold without any distortion or blurring.
What's up with that.
Is there anyway I can print an 8.5 x 11 copy of your drawing that I'll be able to read.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-25-2012, 11:17 AM)stevec Wrote: Ed, I saved your drawing and printed it out, it printed blurry, just like the view of it did when I elarged it with Windows photo viewer.
It's 500 x 329 pixels , greater than the pic I posted about (Let's see your mill post #137) that enlarged manyfold without any distortion or blurring.
What's up with that.
Is there anyway I can print an 8.5 x 11 copy of your drawing that I'll be able to read.

Steve,

I don't know what's going on with the resolution thing but my guess is that the mill picture was a link to a larger picture rather than an attachment like my drawing is. The forum software limits the size of images to some maximum, which I don't recall what it is.

Anyway, I've attached a PDF file to my first post that you should be able to print out and end up with a clear drawing.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed,immediate problem resolved, I printed your drawing directly from the post and deselected "fit to page" it is crisp, clear and legible even to my old tired eyes and is only slightly smaller 6 7/8 x 10½ .
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-25-2012, 12:13 PM)stevec Wrote: Ed,immediate problem resolved, I printed your drawing directly from the post and deselected "fit to page" it is crisp, clear and legible even to my old tired eyes and is only slightly smaller 6 7/8 x 10½ .

Steve,

I posted a higher resolution drawing so that's probably what you're seeing. The default setting for my CAD program to save in JPG format was a mediocre resolution so I bumped it up to the max and replaced the file attached to the post. I also added a DWG file for those that want a CAD version of the file.

Ed
Thanks given by: