Tool Gloat - US trip
Some of you may know that I just returned from a business trip to the US. I also took a few days after the meeting to catch up with some members from here.

In the lead up to the meeting I had been keeping my eye on eBay for some bargains and had them sent to TomG and PixMan for safe keeping until I arrived. PixMan was also very generous in sharing the spoils of some of his (all too frequent) tool gloats with me, as well as doing a ridiculous deal on the face mill and a variety of inserts.

Here is what I managed to bring back with me:

That photo contains:
- Mitutoyo 500.169.20 digital caliper
- Shars Grade B 81 piece rectangular gauge block set
- Precision Twist Drill six pack of 1/2" jobber length drills
- Starrett No S829E small hole gauges (full ball)
- Starrett No S830F small hole gauges (half ball)
- Nicholson Nine Piece Maintenance File set (mostly US made).
- Nicholson 10" square second cut 3/4" file (US made)
- Valenite VG112 R 16-30 tool holder
- Walter F2280.UB.051DC.Z03.04 2" face mill
- Walter F4042R.UB13.038.Z06.10 1.5" shoulder mill
- Tools4Cheap 3/4" NMTB30 shell mill holder
- Accupro 1/2" NMTB30 shell mill holder
- Starrett 243-6 Hermaphrodite calipers
- M20x2.5 HSS die
- Starrett 440MZ 150RL 0-150mm depth micrometer
- Walton 1/4" tap extension
- Greenfield 1/2-20 spiral flute bottoming tap for SS
- Greenfield 7/8-9 UNC HSS plug tap

Also shown in the picture are a set of square and hexagonal ER32 collet blocks that my Mum bought back from the UK for me (Arc Euro Trade wanted too much in shipping).

Not shown are the inserts I got for the tooling shown as well as other tool holders I already have.

Now for the killer part - all of this cost just a little more that I would have paid here for just the gauge block set Jawdrop
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Darren,

I still think you should have added a surface plate. We could have rigged it with a suitcase handle and disguised it as a brief case. Big Grin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Unfortunately there are a few things that are not viable to bring back with me. Well, not on that trip anyway!

Thanks again for your help in letting me use your postal address and it was really nice to meet you and your family.
Thanks given by:
That's quite a haul there Darren! Interesting those collet blocks. I've only seen those for 5C collets. 6820

Ed
Thanks given by:
I hadn't seen them either until I saw doubleboost made a pair and then (by chance) I stumbled upon the them when looking at the Arc Euro Trade web site. They are cheaper than the 5C sets as well, which is always a nice bonus!

I didn't really see it as a viable option to buy a set of 5C blocks AND collets just for the benefit of quick indexing.
Thanks given by:
Glad to be of help in hoarding tools! My regular postman (a.k.a. "mail carrier" here) was asking me if I had someone move into my home because all people receiving US Postal Service mail at any given address are (technically speaking) required to have their name on the mailbox. The UPS guy knows me well too. Both guys were wondering if there was a shipping problem because they're not accustomed to seeing this "Darren" guy at my address.

Toof Hunny!
Thanks given by:
Great haul Darrin,, man stuff must be EXPENSIVE at home??
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Ken, I've seen your tool boxes and I'm happy to be adopted if it keeps you on side with your mailman!

Sasquach we get bent over and have our cheeks parted when it comes to tooling over here.

Having said that, the reason I got such a good deal on a lot of that stuff is that Ken was extremely generous in the price he set. He says he charged me what it cost him but I think he lost money.
Thanks given by:
Its not just tools that we get done on either. Software is another thing. I can see the justification of higher tool prices to a certain degree due to the transport costs for the distance and the various taxes and duties our Gov applies but there is no justification for the difference in software prices when its just a download. Thats just an outright rip off.

bollie7
bollie7, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since May 2012.
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2012, 08:53 AM)EdK Wrote: That's quite a haul there Darren! Interesting those collet blocks. I've only seen those for 5C collets. 6820

Ed

Me, too. I keep threatening myself to figure out a set for R8's, since I have them already. I have a couple of ideas...
Thanks given by: