Any Logan Shaper advise?
I am looking at buying a 7inch Logan shaper with the "Vari-Drive" speed control.

Anyone have any info on what to look for with problems with this type of drive.

Thanks.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
I have the 8 inch one. The variable speed drive works well but I think that is what makes the machine noisy. Have read other posts claiming the Logan is noisy, they blame it on the chain drive. Its not annoyingly noisy but louder than you'd think it should be. I've been going to tear this one apart to see if there is wear in the sheave bushings allowing them to wobble. I have a Rockwell wood lathe that uses a variable speed belt drive that is quiet.
The variable speed drive is very nice to have.
The machine seams to be well built, heavy for its size, you can make it chatter but have to work at it.
My only complaint on the design is the size of the dials, they're tiny, virtually useless. With the machine stroking just try and read the down feed dial. You need dial indicators on the clapper and table movement. Another project on the ever growing list is to make new much larger dials.
Can't really tell you anything in particular to look for but if its noisy don't be surprised.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Larger dials would be nice on my shaper too. What I do now is to turn the thing off, set the depth, and then power on for one stroke (actually three because of momentum, there's no clutch). I'm not real fond of shapers -- noisy, clumsy and slow is what they are. I could easily be talked into selling it (it's not a Logan).

Vari-speed sounds good, wish I had one but I'm not going to spend money on a VFD for mine. The problem is that each stroke takes time, and changing the length of the stroke means the stroke time changes (surface speed) and RPM changes are required in order to compensate. With a vari-speed, I think you could adjust it for a yellow chip quite easily.
Thanks given by:
Sunset down the road a ways if you are thinking of getting rid of your shaper I would be interested. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Was just checking Sasquatch. The 7 inch isn't built quite the same. The photo's I saw show it doesn't have a slotted table, that might be a nuisance, and the table doesn't have the front support mine does, that could be built though.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I'd love to see pics of both showing the differences.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Well today i went back and checked out this shaper. I got it turned around to get some light , in all the kaos of a mess in this garage where it has sat for a number of years. Took the covers off and things seem tight and ok. It does run, but it is filthy. Also found one of the missing crank handles that were gone.

Does anyone know what the original colour of these shapers where???

Doesn't appear to have been repainted years ago, but this one is a beige or tan colour?
Thanks given by:
Sorry forgot to post that i bought it.
Thanks given by:
Congratulations. No idea on the original colour, mine was brush painted sort of off white.

Here's a link to some info on them.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/loganshaper/index.html
Greg
Thanks given by:
Thanks Greg, info is always welcomed greatly.
Thanks given by: