a new lense for a DTI
hi all this is a haw to on making a lens for a dti my way this dti belongs to john bubelboost i picked this up from his on Saturday in all the dti is in good order it just needed a new lens the first thing i did was to brush the Daile to remove as much of the loos muck as possible then i cleaned the lens with Cotton buds and spit DO NOT USE ANY KEMIKEL CLEANERS EVEN SOAPY WATER CAN REMOVE THE PRINT the next thing Wat to make the lens i used acrylic for this i needed something to form the dome for the lens this was dun by the use of a spray can and a mini jam jar i warmed up the plastic till it became soft then plats it over the end of the spray can then with the jam jar preset on to the plastic once formed i ruffly cut the shape out then curved bothe faces with tape then started to shape the new lens to fit i removed the Bessel from the dti as to ad the fitting of the lens to do this i had to remove the retaining ring at the back of the clock to do this their is a noch cut out of the Bessel on the back where you put a pin in and lift out the clip once all was dun refitted the Bessel and gave the new lens a polish right pics

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Outstanding Bob. It looks like a new one.

Oh, and I do like the new nickname you have given John! I'll have to see if I can tinker with his setting to make the change permanent Chin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Another great job Bob! The replacement bezel looks like you bought a new one for it. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs009 Smiley-signs009 Applaud

Great tip about not using chemical cleaners Bob. I know this from previous experience. I've tried cleaning the gunk off of various stick-on instruction/warning labels before, and wiped the print right off of them. Bash

What do you use to polish your new bezels with? My watch bezel is all scarred up..... Bawling
Willie
Thanks given by:
hi thanks for the comments as to remove the scratches from your watch lens well if its Glass you will need joules rouge SOS for the spelling but if its plastic then T Cut will do the job don't no Wat the name for it in the USA is but you use it on your car to remove lite scratches in the pant
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
I think the bezel is plastic although I'm not 100% sure of that. Chin

I have some "Turtle Wax" rubbing compound for the cars, so I guess I'll give that a go and see what happens. I doubt I can make it much worse than it already is. Big Grin

I've been tempted to try one of those 3M headlight polishing kits. Blink
Willie
Thanks given by:
I have a cotton wheel that I use with green or brown cutting compound to make those shiny camera picks with aluminum. I tried it one day on a particularly hazy DTI lens, works incredible, makes them look like new in seconds.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Nice one Bob,ThumbsupWorthy

Like has been said looks brand new Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Thanks Bob,
the tutorial on do it your self lenses will come in handy!
Jerry.
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(10-29-2012, 09:05 PM)Highpower Wrote: I think the bezel is plastic although I'm not 100% sure of that...

Apply some heat. If it melts, you know its plastic.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: