9X20 Spindle Hand Wheel
Somebody is gonna hate me. Big Grin Need to thread 1.125-40 for a distance of .187. Power is out of the question. Sooo -- I made a Spindle Handwheel to turn the spindle while single pointing the thread. It has a mandrel that fits into the spindle at the back. A tapered draw bar opens the mandrel when in position to lock it into place. I still need to split the mandrel in four places to get the spring action needed.

"Billy G"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
one day I hope to have skills.......... you certainly do sir.
Thanks given by:
It just take telling yourself that you want it Que. You will get there. Thank you for the compliment.

"Billy G" Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 10:14 AM)Bill Gruby Wrote: Somebody is gonna hate me. "Billy G"

nope I made one for my 9X20 also but couldn't get the taper to lock up like it was suppose to so that it wouldn't slip while trying to use it.

Could you post a couple pic's of how you did yours, thanks in advance.Big GrinPopcorn

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
No pics but here is how I did it. First of all the tapers, male and female, must be a perfect match. I used the top slide to accomplish this. Once the angle was set I used two boring tools. One right hand, one left hand. The female was cut with the right hand. Stock was changed and the left hand boring tool was put in the holder. The angle was never moved on the top slide.

Now you have to split the mandrel (female part). I split mine back 2 inches in four places 90* apart around the mandrel. This gave me enough spring action to lock.

One last important thing, my mandrel is only .006 less in diameter than the spindle bore. It needs not open very far to lock. Again, this is important.

"Billy G" Big Grin
Thanks given by:
thanks, will have to take a look at mine and probably remake the locking taper part. a 1.125X40 thread thats gonna take a while doing it by hand.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I have a version of one of those partly made up for my lathe. It's not needed often but when it is, it's a great tool to have.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2012, 10:14 AM)Bill Gruby Wrote: Somebody is gonna hate me. Big Grin Need to thread 1.125-40 for a distance of .187. Power is out of the question. "Billy G"
I hate to be the dummy in these "trick" questions but, Why is power "out of the question"? Seems, (to a dummy like me) to be a 3 pass single point threading job. What am I missing?
Blush
Pics of the tools are great but what about a pic of the product for dummies like me?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Threading to a shoulder would be one use for those.

Ed
Thanks given by:
You can say that again Ed. The threas should read like this. 1.125-40X.187.

"Billy G" Blush
Thanks given by: